nj cretaceous stream reptile tooth id

brad hinkelman

Hi, is it possible to state exactly which area you found this tooth in as well as a picture of the general shape (all of the pictures are at an angle)? Might be a bit easier to ID with an exact location.

As for the tooth, it should be remembered that croc is also a possibility. Based on the last picture, it appears that the tooth has lost all of its enamel. I'm not sure which to pick though.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

8 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Hi, is it possible to state exactly which area you found this tooth in as well as a picture of the general shape (all of the pictures are at an angle)? Might be a bit easier to ID with an exact location.

As for the tooth, it should be remembered that croc is also a possibility. Based on the last picture, it appears that the tooth has lost all of its enamel. I'm not sure which to pick though.

hi.......monmouth county nj

100_6116.JPG

well that blows...................I just dropped it on floor taking more pics and broke the point off.................haha    oh well I'm glad I did find another that is a real nice mosasaur today :) 

100_6120.JPG

3 minutes ago, brad hinkelman said:

well that blows...................I just dropped it on floor taking more pics and broke the point off.................haha    oh well I'm glad I did find another that is a real nice mosasaur today :)

Noooooooooooo!!!!!!! Great now I practically broke your tooth :faint:. At least its possible to glue back the two pieces together.

As for the ID, I think its indeed a mosasaur tooth, but I'm not an expert. I think its best to wait for others to cast their opinions before concluding.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Just now, Macrophyseter said:

Noooooooooooo!!!!!!! Great now I practically broke your tooth :faint:. At least its possible to glue back the two pieces together.

As for the ID, I think its indeed a mosasaur tooth, but I'm not an expert.

haha I'm thinking mosa too....hahaha well not your fault I'm butter fingers...and it kinda shattered,,,,no worries....was really worn.....the other one I found today is super nice......but its in a case now and staying there,lol

23 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

As for the ID, I think its indeed a mosasaur tooth, but I'm not an expert. I think its best to wait for others to cast their opinions before concluding.

found the tip and glued it and cant even tell!!!!!

100_6122.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

12 minutes ago, brad hinkelman said:

Glad You got to save it!

It is better to place an object on a solid surface for photography. It also reduces movement and helps get a better quality picture.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

21 hours ago, brad hinkelman said:

Phew! ! ! !

very glad to read this! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Yep, that looks like Mosasaur - the cutting edge is pretty defined, shape and size are good.

44 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

Yep, that looks like Mosasaur - the cutting edge is pretty defined, shape and size are good.

Thanks frank!