The "diamond" Seashell Fossil

Guest fossil-hunter

Guest fossil-hunter

<EDIT> "fossil-hunter" deleted his posts in this thread, and requested that his account be deleted also.

Edited by Auspex

Looks like a brachiopod...your first in 20 years??

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I don't think they are all that uncommon or expensive I have about 50 brachiopods with Calcite crystals inside them, and and Brach crystal molds.

JohnJ is right....it's a broken brachiopod. Pretty common. The crystals are most likely calcite. It's not going to be worth very much -- crystal filled shells are fairly common. It is pretty and makes a nice collection piece.

No need to start a new topic when replying, there is a button near the bottom of the post that says "reply" and lets you add your response to what the others have said. They are correct about your fossil it is a partial brachiopod filled with Calcite. You can tell by the fact that the halves do not meet evenly at the back, but rather one side has a beak.

I doubt the crystals inside are large enough to be "gem grade" nor is calcite hard enough to truly facet. Brachiopods are known from the Paleogene and maybe you found a rare example from the formation you are hunting or someones cast off from someplace else. It looks likes a terebratulid order brachiopod but I don't know the genus or species. I'd suggest you contact your national natural history museum or another local source to tell you the species.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Well its not an actual seashell its an internal mold of a type of bivalve. And although it may not be common where you were looking I am sure it is common somewhere. and the calcite crystals and the fact it is broken open to expose them does not add any value. It is fairly common to find them.

Guest N.AL.hunter

I can't ID it to type, but this IS a brachiopod. Brachiopods have two halves that are not symmetrical. Your fossil has two halves that are not symmetrical. Why do you say it isn't a brachiopod?

Similar brachiopods are found in all ages of rock from Cambrian to recent. They reached their zenith in the paleozoic, but can still be found today.

All your shell pictures are of Brachiopods. Are you sure you are understanding the difference between a Brachiopod and a Pelecypod?

Click here to see the english language Wikipedia page for Brachiopod

There is a good image of the anatomy of a brachiopod about half way down the page.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Definitely brachiopod from the hinges. It's a showy piece, don't get me wrong; but still a brachiopod and still fairly common. Calcite is also not really considered gem quality, but it is nice looking.

You must understand that there are methods for classifying fossils and no two fossils will be exactly alike, so pictures of an exact specimen that matches yours would be hard to find. Certain features in the fossil do tell what it is though. Regardless of where it is from, it is a brachiopod, and you can call it anything you would like, but that won't change what it is.

I do understand what you are saying about the matrix though--perhaps you're thinking there are no brachiopods found in your formation, but this obviously is one. If it's a rare occurrence at your site and you can prove this, it may be worth more than a regular brachiopod with calcite crystals, but it all depends on if you find someone to sell it to that cares about that.

And google really isn't that reliable as a scientific source... but it is helpful at times.

yee haw! this thread has some spirit! brachs chock full o' crystals are so cool!

sling that ole sjöborre up here! i love sjöborre pics!

man, one time i drove right by where ruck's pit was and didn't go in and fill a rucksack...

my life seems largely characterized by missed golden calcitic opportunities...

My brachipod geodes are packed away some where so I can't get a photo but I have a picture of my Crystal mold of a brach:

post-1547-1250120413_thumb.jpg

Excuse the photo, I couldn't get it to com out sharp.

wow! :drool: i don't know what to say. those are great. you don't by chance have any crabs in your collection, do you?

This may help many of us; "sjöborre" is Swedish for "sea urchins", and "paleogene" refers to the first half of the Cenozoic (the Paleocene, Eocene, and Oligocene; 65-24 MYA).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

well, sometime post some crab pictures because we have some people here who really like crabs. i like your posts. it sounds like you have the best fossil collection in sverige.

I'm still waiting for you guys to post some pics of the same type as mine, if you have ? :drool: and with that... I mean with these amazing gemstone crystals, or is it what I thougt... the one and only of this type with gemstone crystals that have been found yet ? Yes, I also have a sjöborre at home with gemstones... but it's not the type I'am asking for now, I would like to see the same sort as the one I posted first in this thread, if you got any ? Then please show me them, I'm curious to know if there is any more out there of this type with gemstone graded crystals, or does you mean this is the only one of it's kind (in the same type) ? :D I'll be back with the gemstone sjöborre for those who wants to see it, but it's not what I'm asking for know. The question is: are there any more of this one out there... if so, then show me some pics :P It would be nice to see if there are anymore of this out there, feel free to post as many pics as you want in this thread and I will take a look at them and see what you've got... and if it's the same as mine, or not ? Thanks, I whish you all the best!

as requested.......

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?showtopic=7054

Guest solius symbiosus

HERE is a pic of some calcite crystals in a gastropod(Cyclonema varicosum) that I saw while looking at some sed. structures. It is from THIS thread. I also have some "geodized" brachiopods, somewhere, that have calcite crystals within.

Calcite is not considered a gemstone; it is too soft. Generally, a mineral has to be 7, or harder, to be considered semi-precious. About 20 years ago in the US, the relatively soft mineral, rhodonite(6 mohs) gained popularity(for some reason) as a semi-precious stone, but I have never heard of anything softer being cut for that purpose.

I don't understand the point your trying to make. No two fossils are alike no two pics will be the same Sorry

You have a very nice brachiopod with calcite crystals not gem grade just nice. And you want to compare it to cars its not a Ferrari its a Volkswagen very common and cheap. Everyone here has found things they want to be something else. But after research and learning from people on the board we must accept it for what it is not what we want it to be

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

*lol*... That was nothing, it is like compare a Ferrari against a Fiat 500 where yours are the last named! :D Don't you see the difference between mine and yours, because I certainly do that for sure :P and for the second, why are you still showing me the wrong types and from the wrong period ? :faint: Is there not any Palegeone, white limestone = vit kalksten (krita) where you live ? And for the third, those are NOT gemstone graded as the one Ihave :drool:

So sorry I misread your post.... I wish I could retract mine now. I thought you just wanted to see some fossils with similar "crystals" and wanted to share some of mine with you. I didn't realize your were looking for a specific period, country, county, city, location, rock wall, formation, zone.....

I drive a Yaris (insert hurt and crying emoticon depicting hands holding a lowly calcite crystal filled brachiopod that is being showered by tears)

post-986-1250184439_thumb.jpg

dear brachioyourfront -

you are not required by forum policy to admit to owning or driving a yaris.

secondly, would you please pm me and explain exactly to me what your personal interpretation is of that hair/bird thing? it's pretty important to me.

So sorry I misread your post.... I wish I could retract mine now. I thought you just wanted to see some fossils with similar "crystals" and wanted to share some of mine with you. I didn't realize your were looking for a specific period, country, county, city, location, rock wall, formation, zone.....

I drive a Yaris (insert hurt and crying emoticon depicting hands holding a lowly calcite crystal filled brachiopod that is being showered by tears)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks man I need that

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

dear brachioyourfront -

you are not required by forum policy to admit to owning or driving a yaris.

secondly, would you please pm me and explain exactly to me what your personal interpretation is of that hair/bird thing? it's pretty important to me.

I guess it could be interpretated that the receiving end in a bird brain.

I was hoping to use it against Aupex if he ever wanted to get in a debate over the correct way to identify the uncinate process, specifically on a Babyus Hueyus

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?sh...129&hl=baby

He literally is a bird brain as you all know.... very knowledgeable of all things aviary.

...figured I'd use it here since we are talking about allotropes of carbon in bi-valves.

ohhh, I forgot to mention it's a four door..... :P