The "diamond" Seashell Fossil

Guest fossil-hunter

Guest solius symbiosus

I usually don't mess around with newer stuff, but it appears(see caveat) that your brach. is an Oleneothyris sp. Oleneothyris is a common brachipod found in rocks from the first few epochs of the Cenozoic.

It would be helpful in IDing the fossil if you could provide the formation in which it was found, as it could then be compared with various data bases.

I don't have any white chalk(vit kalksten) in my area, but it is a very common limestone found throughout the world.

Too, it appears that something is being lost in translation. You keep referring to "gemstone" in your posts describing the calcite crystals. I'm thinking that the more correct word would be mineral, as calcite is never considered a gemstone.

"Too, it appears that something is being lost in translation. You keep referring to "gemstone" in your posts describing the calcite crystals. I'm thinking that the more correct word would be mineral, as calcite is never considered a gemstone."

(pssst! solius! would you stop saying snarge like that! my wife walks by sometimes and looks at the screen and that 10-carat calcite solitaire in her ring won me a lot of points when i gave it to her!)

I usually don't mess around with newer stuff,

That line is a classic, I want a T-shirt with that on it

Thanks solius symbiosus

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Here are two different seashell fossils for you guys to look at, but none of these two has the white chalk matrix :rolleyes:

Definitely brachiopods, I'm a newb at this and I can see that! So why can these brachs be fine, but it's impossible for your crystalized shell to be a brach? Was your other specimen found on the other end of the universe, or what? :mellow:

Inquiring minds want to know...