ID needed please

Mtnstrider

Image may contain: outdoor

Hello! Let me introduce myself. Im an old guy in Northeastern Calif. I Do a lot of hiking in the High Desert  of Lassen county. Last week on a 2 night 20 hike i found this. Im a fairly knowledgeable about what i usually find. Arrowheads ,jasper, petroglyphs but this is the first time ive found what i believe to be a fossil tooth. The area is Near Karlo Calif and is known to  have Pleistocene fossils according to  a friend. Any help or input would be great.

Peace

Alan

Welcome to TFF!

This does not look like a tooth, but it is hard to be sure what it is with only one out of focus picture.

Please take better pictures from all sides with a scale for size reference.

Thanks,

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It's just a far guess of mine looking at that picture: banded chert?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!  I agree...not a tooth.  There definitely weren't any Pleistocene mammals who carried that around in their mouth.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Yep, welcome! That is pretty neat. The general Lassen area up that away was beautiful as I recall-lots of volcanics to be amazed by but I do believe some non-volcanics also. 

As Tony requested above some additional photos/angles with a scale of some sort to guage its relative size will help. I have some crazy similar small blobs that have banding but from around here (Florida) and I always wondered if they were not worn chert pebbles but something organic/boney/critter based. 

Regards, Chris 

Hello, Alan, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

I also think this is mineralogical and not a fossil. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Archived