New Aus Pleistocene Prep Thread (Thylacoleo carnifex)

Ash

Been a long time coming, we found this and jacketed it back in October and was waiting for a friend to help with it since it's a new one to me, but he's rather busy so Skye ( @Jesuslover340 ) and I have decided to just do it and get it outta the way. We've started some prep but will be finishing it and updating the thread tommorow, sleep beckons and I'll leave you guys and gals with some teaser pics.

Goodnight!

ps: for those who already know the answer, shh :P

IMG_3699.PNG

IMG_3698.PNG

• I found this Informative 1

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

:muahaha::ninja::ninja::ninja::muahaha:

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

@Ash   Knowing you posted this, I already know it has to be something good.  And probably with lots of teeth.  Looking forward to see this.

RB

6 minutes ago, RJB said:

@Ash   Knowing you posted this, I already know it has to be something good.  And probably with lots of teeth.  Looking forward to see this.

RB

;)

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

:popcorn: This will be cool!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Not quite as toothy as most, this one, and It's in pretty bad shape and I'm not real sure how I'm going to go about this. Going to end up with a fair bit of dirt glued between gaps I think, lots missing,

lots of broken free floating pieces, some i glued in place in dirt when we first found it as wasn't sure what it was. Off to get some acetone for paraloid then more updates and it'll be obvious what it is (we've prepped further than what is in pics).

While digging around the fossil to jacket it we found this little isolated Macropus sp. tooth also, a pleasant surprise.

Cheers for now!

IMG_3704.PNG

IMG_3707.PNG

IMG_3708.PNG

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

This is a photo as we found it...this will be a challenging prep, as you can tell...

1512376721574_0317573675_b9e0d3a7.jpg

We actually initially started prep back in December but stopped when we saw these pearlies:

1512376642363_0178345675_b9e0d3a7.thumb.jpg.43f22993bec2fade7718a8438cbb3bd2.jpg

Can you guess why? :D

• I found this Informative 2

The things you find in plaster jackets without knowing they were there...

So we had this little mystery bone..and it just kept growing! Turns out there's this big rib in here we had no idea about.

IMG_3717.PNG

IMG_3718.PNG

More progress. Lots of small cracks in this one - not in great shape but it has the 2 famous premolars.

IMG_3730.PNG

IMG_3729.PNG

Not great shape, can't emphasise that enough ha.

Probably just put epoxy in the cracks to try and make them a little sturdier. Looks aren't priority on this one as it's so beaten up.

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

Epoxying a few cracks and gaps while we discuss whether or not to try and reconnect a few separated pieces or just paraloiding them with the gaps as is. Being a shattered, incomplete skull, this is going to be tricky.

Screenshot_20180408-114051.jpg

It does set clear, don't fear folks. However we're more concerned about conservation rather than presentation on this one.

I think it'll come up alright, of a bit beat up.

IMG_3757.PNG

Hit the point where things sloooooow doooownnn.. progress doesnt look as much now because it takes longer to do less.

IMG_3764.PNG

I always hate this part - taking the breaks and large pieces apart for a solid bond.

For me they always are a pain to get back together..

IMG_3768.PNG

We've gone from 5 down to 3 pieces. Doesn't look much different than the last pic but they were important connecting pieces. :)

Got a couple Doctor Peppers in the fridge to celebrate finishing it..when we do.

About 9 hours spent so far.

IMG_3772.PNG

:popcorn: Such delicate work! I'm usually stuck trying to separate a fossil from a steely hard matrix and this is just the opposite. Never heard of this creature until I put the name into the search engine. Fascinating!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Our equivalent of a smilodon, just without the sabres. Ours had bolt cutters instead.

Down to 2 pieces, this being the most important to make it 1. Pressures on. 5 minute epoxy taking an hour to set is very painful.

Very interesting watching this slow and painstaking work. :popcorn:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

A marsupial lion! Amazing find no matter the completeness. Congrats on the find and good luck on the prep!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Drumroll, please!!!

After 14 hrs of painstaking prep and compromise with the matrix to maintain the structural integrity of the skull (i.e., we left some dirt on it), IT IS FINISHED!

Meet "Crackers"-so named for all the cracks we had to deal with :D

Screenshot_20180408-232320.jpg

Screenshot_20180408-232105.jpg

Screenshot_20180408-232220.jpg

Screenshot_20180408-232149.jpg

Screenshot_20180408-232257.jpg

Took 13 years but finally found a Thylacoleo. It's sorta amusing - I jokingly said and always imagined when I found a Leo it would be a skull and it would be in a pain in the butt place and full of roots. Well, it was. Found it in an undercut bank with a tree roof growing through its eye. We had to cut a lot of roots from above to remove overburden during excavation. You can see what I mean in the first pic in this thread.

Cheers guys, and Skye thanks for being a wonderful Prep and Fossil Hunting Partner :wub:

(and wife :D)

A marsupial lion.  Thats purty dang cool!  Love the patience you have too.  nice work.

RB