Hi all, there are many dinosaur eggs being sold online now, especially on our favorite auction site. One of the most prominent egg dealers there is known for selling composite or fake eggs, mixed in with real eggs. We have TFF members who've fallen victim to him already.

5ac8c89602f0b_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.782a7c44348c148ab1f2efd370d9c2f0.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.58b77925ddc986d03137beb309f323ea.jpg

This hadrosaur egg here is a composite of real eggshells stuck onto what seems like mud/matrix, then molded into the shape of a real egg.

This is what a true hadrosaur egg looks like:

58858b598e57c__12(1).JPG.a825b9c22d68c4bf1fc1d5e7fdc1c599.JPG.d8a33bd1cf8496db69d5076d879c8a01.JPGDSEHS803c.jpg.a8683ec023146ae01a955f78daa5d963.jpg.2caa8cce2130b416ade5cca2714bbee1.jpgHadrosaur_1.jpg.d331b4e5a9f0f12c5d82ffdc794e0ae5.thumb.jpg.f7788c00e5c3c033de23672e04fbe906.jpg

As you can see, there's no matrix between the eggshells. You can see lines running throughout the egg, and most importantly, the eggshells look as though they can be pried out.

Dino eggs are one of the most desirable fossil in the market, but also among the most commonly faked one. Take your time, and do proper research. If unsure, post here in TFF, and we will do our best to help you identify it. Good luck.

@HamptonsDoc

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Good reminder and info for those that have not seen all the other egg warnings.  Collectors be especially cautious of those being sold those from Asia.  

@-Andy- much thanks for the very informative and important information you provide regarding fossil eggs!

I don’t understand how they are still shipping eggs out of China. Unless maybe Law Enforcement doesn’t care because most of them are fake 

Hi, could you give me some advice as to the authenticity of the two dinosaur eggs below?  I don't see clearly the shell structure or is it because it is covered by a calcite layer?

IMG_1994.JPG

3 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Hi, could you give me some advice as to the authenticity of the two dinosaur eggs below?  I don't see clearly the shell structure or is it because it is covered by a calcite layer?

The egg in your first picture looks real. The thing in picture 2 is too wet for me to make a call. Do you know the locality?

More pictures would be helpful for both eggs.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

40 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

The egg in your first picture looks real. The thing in picture 2 is too wet for me to make a call. Do you know the locality?

More pictures would be helpful for both eggs.

Thanks, Andy.  The eggs are from Ganzhou of Jiangxi Province in which large number of dinosaur eggs are found.  I wonder about the authenticity because I can't see the shell structure clearly.  It is possible that the eggs are either peeled off during the rough extraction or covered by a calcite layer if the eggs are genuine.  Advice would be much appreciated.  The underside photo of the first egg is attached.

IMG_2012.JPG

They may be real eggs but unless you can prep them properly to determine if shell material is present why take the risk.   The shell structure is the only reason to collect them and without it all you have is a mold of an egg which in my opinion is almost worthless.  

Not all eggs are preserved similarly. These ones remind me of this type (likely Spheroolithus sp.) which is sometimes sold as Segnosaur or Therizinosaurus eggs (they aren't these 2 species, but that's beside the point). These eggs do have eggshell. They usually measure around 3.5" in diameter.

Unknown.thumb.jpg.52440b94ed8e6eb0f309d5557339f8c7.jpg

The egg you show here looks like it has some eggshell at the bottom left.

IMG_2012.JPG.630142348025cbab246c6e6b0183176a.thumb.JPG.35830309aa3aec7053d1687d80c5f958.JPG

Another fake hadrosaur egg just came up.

I've seen these kind more times than I care for. Please do not be enticed by the low price.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.7df295ae4517654dd74f1464adb511d2.jpg

3 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

Not all eggs are preserved similarly. These ones remind me of this type (likely Spheroolithus sp.) which is sometimes sold as Segnosaur or Therizinosaurus eggs (they aren't these 2 species, but that's beside the point). These eggs do have eggshell. They usually measure around 3.5" in diameter.

The egg you show here looks like it has some eggshell at the bottom left.

I agree if eggshell is visible.  But Crazyhen said he did not see any that where it becomes very problematic 

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

I agree if eggshell is visible.  But Crazyhen said he did not see any that where it becomes very problematic 

I am not very sure about the presence of shell, it seems like it’s peeled off but I also understand that eggs may be covered by a calcite layer.  For oviraptor eggs, the presence or absence of shell is more obvious than hadrosaur or Spheroolithus.  For example, I can more easily tell about the presence of shell and the authenticity of the eggs below.

D3CDE961-1FD7-4D52-BAEB-4EF24EE756D1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

I am not very sure about the presence of shell, it seems like it’s peeled off but I also understand that eggs may be covered by a calcite layer.  For oviraptor eggs, the presence or absence of shell is more obvious than hadrosaur or Spheroolithus.  For example, I can more easily tell about the presence of shell and the authenticity of the eggs below. 

Very covered with calcite, it is difficult to detect the eggshell in a "Segnosaur" egg, especially due to the fact that it is such a small egg.... But if it is a true egg, after preparing it, it looks beautiful and does not owe anything to beauty for an egg of "Hadrosaur".

image.png.a93b3b97ef171ba23b961bb42665d99d.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Archived