I thought this was a boring rock.

Bone guy

When I was younger I did a small dig up in New Jersey. I kept the bag of rocks and fossils I found. One day I was inspecting my finds and I was looking at this rock. I was convinced it was a simple, boring rock, but just before I threw it away I noticed the small facets that looked like an eyeball. I looked on the other side and, to my surprise, another eyeball. Then I looked at both eyes and it dawned on me. This isn't a plain rock, it's a trilobite head! Ever since then this guy's been one of my favorites because he's self found. Could anyone help me ID my bug? He's from the mustconetcong river in New Jersey. The whole head is about the size of a quarter. 

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

That is cool! I defer to the bug folks...although it does remind me a bit like Eldredgeops sp. that I have but let the experts give you something that is factual. 

Cool keeper!..

Regards, Chris 

I would go with Eldredgeops rana, as well, but I'm not sure there is enough detail left to be positive about an ID. :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Childhood finds are the best.  I have a whole display box devoted just to childhood finds.  As a kid, finding even a fragment of a trilobite was cause for celebration.  I usually toss trilo-bits now, but I treasure every single beat-up fragment that I found as a child.  Nice keeper you have.

Nice cephalon, I agree with Eldredgeops, most likely rana (though not definitively)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, Bone guy said:

When I was younger I did a small dig up in New Jersey. I kept the bag of rocks and fossils I found. One day I was inspecting my finds and I was looking at this rock. I was convinced it was a simple, boring rock, but just before I threw it away I noticed the small facets that looked like an eyeball. I looked on the other side and, to my surprise, another eyeball. Then I looked at both eyes and it dawned on me. This isn't a plain rock, it's a trilobite head! Ever since then this guy's been one of my favorites because he's self found. Could anyone help me ID my bug? He's from the mustconetcong river in New Jersey. The whole head is about the size of a quarter. 

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

So you actually did have a trilobite in your collection after all.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The one eye at least still looks pretty good! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

He could pit a patch over the left eye and call it his "Pirate" trilo. Arrr!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Archived