Shellseeker

I was out yesterday and at first I was having trouble finding fossils in the gravel -- a not unheard of complaint from fossil hunters.

But then I found a clay bottom and prospects improved.

IMG_1432.jpg.4f427dd4004e6255e1865e69dcf5f09f.jpg

Couple of Equus, mammoth frag, dolphin vert and some decent hemis including some teeth that came out of the clay with BV white roots.

IMG_1436.jpg.69dd75df7fac6f2ccb0b81fc08cf3b2c.jpg

I found a couple of canines, one early and I am not positive that it is fossil, IMG_1445.thumb.jpg.270858f265fe53321a77f23260d9f27b.jpgIMG_1446.thumb.jpg.facd84652509bdc47196c639eab9a88a.jpg

Now to a canine coming off of the clay bottom...

IMG_1448.thumb.jpg.835950942644742b7bedbf2daa4b2da5.jpgIMG_1449.thumb.jpg.38b405525c4cfc274d7cf5489853feaf.jpgIMG_1450.thumb.jpg.66d9689d830eebb9b4ec21e701c79c83.jpg

So I do not think this is gator or marine mammal; 1st canine = 1.25 inches, 2nd canine is 1.125 inches. Note the wear pattern from grinding against an opposing (canine ?).  May not ID this last one, but any narrowing of the possibilities is appreciated.  Thanks, Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I can’t help with ID (maybe bear-ish?), but I can say you found some nice things:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice finds!

The tooth is a bit small for bear right? What kind of smaller critters do you have running around there? Maybe racoon or something?

4 minutes ago, jhw said:

My first thought would be a pinniped of some sort.

Mine, too, but it doesn't seem to have enough hook to it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I now think the 1st tooth is likely canid possibly modern.

On the 2nd tooth,  it seems to have brown enamel covering the entire fragment, when the 1st tooth has enamel only on the top 1/3 of a whole tooth, the rest is root.

Pinniped would be more likely given that everything else found here was marine except for a single horse tooth

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"