Georgia trilobite optical illusion

Bobby Rico

Hi all 

I can see an optical illusion when looking at these trilobite photographs but you will need to come back to the post a couple of time for it to work. So is it positive or negative?

3A0C3D40-604D-44A6-A97F-BAB9C0434673.jpeg

9E032CE8-96A2-4F06-8AC8-D2F0ACA90B38.jpeg

Great pictures Bobby.  :)

I've noticed that when there is high contrast on some fossils, this type of illusion is fairly common.

With that said, looks like it is a negative, to me.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, xDiamondX said:

Negative for sure. (No pun intended)

That’s no pun, that’s an oxymoron!;):P

ive noticed this illusion when drawing a pyramid, it can be seen as if you are viewing it from the top or like the front face is transparent and you can see the back vertex.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The top pic. seems like a positive, then looking at the second from far away it changes to negative...I'm scared!

However, negative it is.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I agree, looks like the light is coming from the top on the overall piece, so the bug must be a neg. Nice neg, tho!

99% sure it's a negative. Hunt there regularly and have put many of the trilos in the light to take pics. It's a nice one, too! :D

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Very cool! I’d say it’s a negative simply because the contrast with the matrix is small, but just by looking at the trilo I wouldn’t have been able to say... It really does switch between the two! 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Thank you very much @Fossildude19 @Tidgy's Dad @caldigger @Raggedy Man @Wrangellian @MeargleSchmeargl @Max-fossils and @xDiamondX.

I can most the time only see it as positive but that is strange as I know it is negative.

One thing for sure is you have to love them sweet Georgia light brown trilobites.

12 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thank you very much @Fossildude19 @Tidgy's Dad @caldigger @Raggedy Man @Wrangellian @MeargleSchmeargl @Max-fossils and @xDiamondX.

I can most the time only see it as positive but that is strange as I know it is negative.

One thing for shure is you have to love them sweet Georgia Lt brown trilobites.

Oh. 

So did I not win then? :(

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Oh. 

So did I not win then? :(

Sorry my friend not this time but I was with you in the positive camp.:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

1 minute ago, Bobby Rico said:

Sorry my friend not this time but I was with you in the positive camp.

Right! 

I'm off to sulk.

Speak later. ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

This is why paleontology journals require all photos to have lighting from the top left.  If you know the direction of the light you can always tell if a specimen is positive or negative.  You can also tell if a feature is a bump or spine sticking up as opposed to a pore or depression.

Don

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

This is why peleontology journals require all photos to have lighting from the top left.  If you know the direction of the light you can always tell if a specimen is positive or negative.  You can also tell if a feature is a bump or spine sticking up as opposed to a pore or depression.

Don

Thank you very much very informative and helpful but it was also fun playing with the optical illusion. :)

Archived