Trip to Cole Hill 4-14-18

Darktooth

I am planning a trip to Cole Hill on Saturday April 14th to search for my favorite trilobite, Dipleura dekayi. Wondering if anyone would like to join in the fun? I plan on arriving at sunrise and staying till 12-1 pm. Maybe longer depending on how things go.

Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I would love to do so, it would be great. :)

But sadly not possible at this time. 

Good luck to you and those who can go with you! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Well, it looks like nobody wants to come out and play:(. To make matters worse, the forecast for Saturday was supposed to be 68º and sunny. Now it says 58º and cloudy with possible rain.:( Luckily I am a resourceful fellow and I will make the best of it. I guess anything is better than snow on the ground. And I got that feeling that I am going to hit it big this weekend. Could just be wishful thinking. But my spider sense is tingling.  We will see what happens. Its not too late to join in the fun..................:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I hear you. We are also hostage of unseasonable weather. :( But regardless, we have the weekend of the 28th rain or shine!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Gotta work that day, but I wish you all of the luck Dave. That gigantic complete Dipleura I left lying loose in the talus I hope is still there.

Cole Hill as in out by Berne? (I'm not familiar with the location.) Alas, I can't go regardless because it's staff orientation at PD, but I'd love to know how far out it is for future opportunities!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

24 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Cole Hill as in out by Berne? (I'm not familiar with the location.) Alas, I can't go regardless because it's staff orientation at PD, but I'd love to know how far out it is for future opportunities!

Its only about  a 30-45 minute drive from Deep Springs. Its about 5 miles south from the town of Sangerfield. It is the world classic locale for Dipleura dekayi.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

Gotta work that day, but I wish you all of the luck Dave. That gigantic complete Dipleura I left lying loose in the talus I hope is still there.

I can only hope!:)

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I hear you. We are also hostage of unseasonable weather. :( But regardless, we have the weekend of the 28th rain or shine!

I know the 28th is only 2 weeks away and I am really looking forward to it. I was just hoping to have some company this weekend as well. It has been a long time since I have had company other then my boys. Sometimes I enjoy quiet time by myself but other times I want to have others with me who share my passion for the hunt. The boys don't really like it at Cole Hill so much so they won't be coming. Plus if it does rain they would not enjoy it. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Also an FYI part of the reason I am going to Cole Hill this weekend is because I want to collect some material from there to send home with you guys when you come on the 28th

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

1 minute ago, DevonianDigger said:

I wish I could make it. If not for work, I would probably make the trip out. I'm quite literally aching to get digging. This crummy spring is driving me insane!

I hear you! It is driving me nuts as well.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

1 minute ago, Darktooth said:

Also an FYI part of the reason I am going to Cole Hill this weekend is because I want to collect some material from there to send home with you guys when you come on the 28th

Oh, killer deal! You're too kind!

Ever since I got rid of my Mustang and upgraded to an SUV I've been committed to finally getting out and exploring more of NY's awesome geology. I really have very little material from anywhere in NY other than PD. This year marks the first time that traveling to other sites has really been practical. Believe it or not, my SUV gets way better gas mileage than my Mustang did. Another goal of mine is to get out and collect myself a Triarthrus. 

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

13 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Oh, killer deal! You're too kind!

Ever since I got rid of my Mustang and upgraded to an SUV I've been committed to finally getting out and exploring more of NY's awesome geology. I really have very little material from anywhere in NY other than PD. This year marks the first time that traveling to other sites has really been practical. Believe it or not, my SUV gets way better gas mileage than my Mustang did. Another goal of mine is to get out and collect myself a Triarthrus. 

When you guys make it out maybe we can discusspossible hunts at others sites it the future. As for trilos I have only collected Dipleuras, Eldregeops, and Greenops. I am looking to add any other species that I can get my hands on. There are spots where you can find 

Triarthrus, but I haven't checked them out yet. I tend to hunt Deep Springs, Cole Hill and Briggs Road a lot because they are relatively close and they produce. But this year I would like to branch out to some new spots as well. My locale club is going to PD In May. I have never been there but I would like too. I wanted to take a day off to hunt there with you guys when Kane comes but we have reached that time of year when my job wants us to pull Overtime. So I am not sure yet. But the 28th is set for me.  

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Nobody ever claimed Mustangs were economy vehicles. You can almost see the needle on the fuel gauge move when you step on the gas. Ya gotta pay the price for the vroom, vroom.

Rock! (Pun intended :P)

The only downside to working at PD is that when the season is running, so am I. So it's going to be little day trips here and there in NY, PA, and OH for me this year. But I'm going to try and jam in whatever I can, so I'm open to any suggestions. With enough advance notice I can try to get certain days off to make trips if anyone is going. If you come out to PD, you won't be disappointed. DSR might produce, but I'm willing to bet it doesn't produce like PD. In fact, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere that produces quite like PD. It's all about the work. If you're willing to haul slabs all day, you won't leave empty handed. Just ask @Fossil-Hound, lol. He didn't believe me until he came up the first time!

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Just now, caldigger said:

Nobody ever claimed Mustangs were economy vehicles. You can almost see the needle on the fuel gauge move when you step on the gas. Ya gotta pay the price for the vroom, vroom.

I thought it would be so cool to have the GT Premium with the tuned 322 HP V8... never gave any forethought to the fuel economy... or driving in snow for that matter... huge miscalculation on my part, lol.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Dave, if you have a passport, I'd love to bring you to Arkona :) 

4 hours ago, Darktooth said:

...I got that feeling that I am going to hit it big this weekend. Could just be wishful thinking. But my spider sense is tingling.  We will see what happens. Its not too late to join in the fun..................:)

I hope your spider sense serves you well this weekend, Dave. It's a 4-hour drive each way for me, and I'm hoping to get out that way later in the month, so I'm afraid I'll pass on your Cole Hill invite. I can hear those bugs calling your name, though. Happy hunting.

2 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

I had to get rid of my 1970 mustang when I starting hauling cordwood to heat the house later in the 70's. The interior was in sad shape by the time I got rid of it.

One of these days you'll have to get yourself to Little Falls, NY to look for Triarthrus. A bunch of TFF members got together there a few years ago. There's a report somewhere here on the forum. We didn't find many whole bugs, just a few, but lots of partials.  In any case, I'm sure you're going to enjoy DSR.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

12 hours ago, Kane said:

Dave, if you have a passport, I'd love to bring you to Arkona :) 

We can try to plan something out. I got a lot on my plate with family stuff  this year but maybe I could work something out.

13 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

The only downside to working at PD is that when the season is running, so am I. So it's going to be little day trips here and there in NY, PA, and OH for me this year. But I'm going to try and jam in whatever I can, so I'm open to any suggestions. With enough advance notice I can try to get certain days off to make trips if anyone is going. If you come out to PD, you won't be disappointed. DSR might produce, but I'm willing to bet it doesn't produce like PD. In fact, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere that produces quite like PD. It's all about the work. If you're willing to haul slabs all day, you won't leave empty handed. Just ask @Fossil-Hound, lol. He didn't believe me until he came up the first time!

DSR definitely produces some nice stuff. I leave behind far more than what i keep. As far as hauling slabs, I am not a big guy by any means but I can move a lot of rock. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

@Pagurus So I am assuming you are going to try to make it the 28th as well? This just keeps getting better !:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

9 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

...  As far as hauling slabs, I am not a big guy by any means but I can move a lot of rock. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TRUE STORY.  ;) 

PS,... Dave, ... please remember to leave some trilos for us.  ;) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Did I hear hauling slabs and moving lots of rock? This better not be a tease!

13 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

Yes I did have my doubts. After spending three days at the sight in August and without the proper tools and experience I had no idea so many trilobites where in the Smoke Creek Bed layer just waiting to be extracted and prepared. Thank you so much @DevonianDigger If you're ever out west you should let me know and we can head out to U-Dig UT or Bakersfield CA. Next year I hope to head out to Black Cat Mountain in Oklahoma for some Devonian trilobites.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TRUE STORY.  ;) 

PS,... Dave, ... please remember to leave some trilos for us.  ;) 

I will try but no guarantees! :P

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Did I hear hauling slabs and moving lots of rock? This better not be a tease!

No teasing here! Its how I roll!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

LOL. I'm glad! Rumour has it I turn big and green when there's some rock that needs a-movin'! :D 

Archived