kirkjeremiah23

I'm interested in adding a dinosaur Egg to my collection. I know these are commonly faked and would like some advise to spot a fake or a reputable dealer. Or possibly someone on here has one they are willing to let go of? Any info is much appreciated

Seguidora-de-Isis

Hello my friend @kirkjeremiah23

Welcome to TFF, and receive all the hugs here from Argentina! :D

Any fossilized egg must be analyzed individually. Unfortunately there is no reliable seller, some sellers know they're selling a fraud, other vendors sell a fraud, but they don't know it's a fraud. So since you're a beginner, my advice is that you choose an egg, and before you buy, do a post here, putting pictures of the egg, so I'm sure many here, including me, we will be very happy to help. Remember, it's not allowed here post monetary prices and even the names of the sellers.

To learn more about fake eggs and true, here's an excellent post made by our friend HamptonsDoc:

Best regards!

indominus rex

Getting a dinosaur egg for an affordable price is a lot more difficult then you'd expect, sometimes they fake the entire dinosaur egg, sometimes they stick real dinosaur eggshells onto a fake matrix. I know a few dealers that have real one's but they are in foreign countries and they might not send over seas.

Regards, indominus rex

SULLY

Good thread. Thank you guys for helping people out with this 

HamptonsDoc

PM sent of a few listed on line right now.

kirkjeremiah23

Thoughts on this supposedly oviraptor egg?  Is it authentic?

Thanks for any info

s-l503.png

s-l504.png

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1602.jpg

Troodon

Egg is real, missing a good amount of the outer shell material.  Not the best specimen I've seen for sale.

HamptonsDoc

So this egg looks like an authentic oviraptor egg but most of the shell is missing.  The black portions are the shell, the grey represents the cast of what was fossilized under the shell before it fell off sometime over the past 70 million years.  The reddish/brown material is some of the matrix left.  The black shell is really the only thing that is the egg and I'd say you have maybe 25% of shell here. Depending on your budget you may want to wait for a nicer one to show up with more shell coverage.

kirkjeremiah23

Thoughts on this egg? Authenticity?

Thanks again

s-l400.jpg

s-l400 (2).jpg

s-l400 (1).jpg

HamptonsDoc

Looks like an authentic hadrosaur egg.  Not the best quality but in better shape than the oviraptor egg you posted earlier.  These eggs are a lot more common than oviraptor eggs.  There were many more herbivores than predators back then.

Troodon

I looked around and its just not a good time for eggs.  Here is one I saw $100 higher than the one you posted.

s-l1600.jpg.2e7dbeea822168c411912c64c08d36f2.jpgs-l400.jpg.99a8f84b9484fa7559372898465e1cfc.jpg5ae385bf7c104_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.5073386557652d37eb52c2f5ab3f996f.jpg