I'm interested in adding a dinosaur Egg to my collection. I know these are commonly faked and would like some advise to spot a fake or a reputable dealer. Or possibly someone on here has one they are willing to let go of? Any info is much appreciated

Hello my friend @kirkjeremiah23

Welcome to TFF, and receive all the hugs here from Argentina! :D

Any fossilized egg must be analyzed individually. Unfortunately there is no reliable seller, some sellers know they're selling a fraud, other vendors sell a fraud, but they don't know it's a fraud. So since you're a beginner, my advice is that you choose an egg, and before you buy, do a post here, putting pictures of the egg, so I'm sure many here, including me, we will be very happy to help. Remember, it's not allowed here post monetary prices and even the names of the sellers.

To learn more about fake eggs and true, here's an excellent post made by our friend HamptonsDoc:

Best regards!

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Getting a dinosaur egg for an affordable price is a lot more difficult then you'd expect, sometimes they fake the entire dinosaur egg, sometimes they stick real dinosaur eggshells onto a fake matrix. I know a few dealers that have real one's but they are in foreign countries and they might not send over seas.

Regards, indominus rex

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Lots of info around but post your interest before you buy so we can make you more comfortable with the selection.  PM sent on a possible domestic source. 

Thoughts on this supposedly oviraptor egg?  Is it authentic?

Thanks for any info

s-l503.png

s-l504.png

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1602.jpg

3 hours ago, kirkjeremiah23 said:

Thoughts on this supposedly oviraptor egg?  Is it authentic?

Thanks for any info

This egg looks a lot like those we constantly see on our favorite auction site, being auctioned from an Asian smuggler who usually mixes fossilized eggs of real dinosaurs with completely fake eggs. But after so many years, I must confess that I still feel quite uncomfortable to think that something that comes from this seller can be real. So if I were you, I would ask the seller what the source is before buying...

The eggshells of this egg are quite textured, the reddish coloration is correct. The morphology is compatible, the shells clearly obey and follow the curvature of the egg, in addition, the size is also correct. It is also possible to visualize whitish areas that correspond to the old original membrane of the egg, so it is definitely a real egg, but unfortunately it is a poor quality egg, are missing many shells, but if it is well prepared, until it can be presentable to exhibition.

I see that the egg is accompanied by a brass plaque written: "Oviraptor Egg". In fact it is quite likely that it is even an egg of Oviraptor, because besides the morphology being consistent, Oviraptors have also been discovered over nests containing eggs like this:

image.png.52c3d99f151834a9079a23d9c80569ca.png

image.png.4b2738d54ef1bfafe370d84844daae3f.png

But the fact is that unfortunately there is still no conclusive way to state that it really can be an egg of Oviraptor. To make quick and easy money, the sellers are quick to create labels, but they usually take forever to produce proofs that can justify the labels they create... So the most correct, for now, is to label it as being an egg from an indeterminate Theropod or an egg fossil, of type Elongatoolithus sp.

For comparison, below, I give as an example, a legitimate egg of the type Elongatoolithus sp. that is deposited in my private collection:

image.thumb.png.90c4f049dea7418f136c56d9e97abef8.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Egg is real, missing a good amount of the outer shell material.  Not the best specimen I've seen for sale.

So this egg looks like an authentic oviraptor egg but most of the shell is missing.  The black portions are the shell, the grey represents the cast of what was fossilized under the shell before it fell off sometime over the past 70 million years.  The reddish/brown material is some of the matrix left.  The black shell is really the only thing that is the egg and I'd say you have maybe 25% of shell here. Depending on your budget you may want to wait for a nicer one to show up with more shell coverage.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like an authentic hadrosaur egg.  Not the best quality but in better shape than the oviraptor egg you posted earlier.  These eggs are a lot more common than oviraptor eggs.  There were many more herbivores than predators back then.

I looked around and its just not a good time for eggs.  Here is one I saw $100 higher than the one you posted.

s-l1600.jpg.2e7dbeea822168c411912c64c08d36f2.jpgs-l400.jpg.99a8f84b9484fa7559372898465e1cfc.jpg5ae385bf7c104_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.5073386557652d37eb52c2f5ab3f996f.jpg

Archived