NJ Fossil Expo Saturday 4/08/18

Masp

Really enjoyed the fossil expo yesterday In Edison, NJ.  Just wanted to share some of my purchases with all of you.  90% of my purchases came from an expert or directly from a paleontologist that found the fossils.  The only downside is that those who deal the Moroccan stuff.. you have to be careful.  I came across some phony specimens.  Like mosasaur Teeth plastered onto a different species jaw, or spinosaurus claws that are mostly fabricated.  In any case if you are interested in buying Moroccan fossils,  I suggest talking to somebody who is an expert there, like a paleontologist, and show them a picture of the specimen or bring it directly to them to tell you if the specimen is okay or not.  That’s exactly what I did, and I felt much more comfortable because I only bought material that was fool proof. At least I hope haha. 

Anyway they have so many options, especially for those who love minerals. Looking forward to going back. Here are some pics

This first pic is of an Allosaurus bone. 

71F512E5-89FB-4E71-A4ED-760E555B448D.jpeg

Here we have a dromeaosaurid vert in the first two pics, then in the third pic a finger bone. 

5FD5ED7B-3BBD-43F1-A1E8-27CCCE727AED.jpeg

E142F787-B5B5-4793-A992-B6305F6C9930.jpeg

Here’s some of that Moroccan material I was talking about.  Many of these appear to be in pristine condition but having instead a lot of work done to them.  I had this one checked out and was told it’s okay. Appears to have no enhancement work done to it. 

9B898F75-5F55-4E8F-97C6-EEF7931A3441.jpeg

This ammonite however is a little different.  The specimen is real, but if you look closely in the middle, where the section begins to get white, that section was hand carved for the  aesthetics of making the fossil look complete.  I decided to buy it anyway because it was nice, cheap, and most of these I come across have work done to them anyway. 

9BA85F73-3894-491D-9A2F-18D4C0DD41A0.jpeg

Top left black tooth: Pleistocene horse tooth

To the left of that: Moroccan Otodus tooth

Below those: Two Moroccan Mosasaur teeth

The white bone to the left of the teeth: Camarasaurus rib fragment. 

Below those on bottom: Grallator track

54370B36-84C4-43F3-8148-0FEEA1624516.jpeg

Nice buys:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I can't speak to the other fossils so much, but the print you got is pretty nice. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks! My favorite may be the brachiosaurus bone soley because of the puncture wounds. Interesting stuff. 

You done well in my humble opinion and I am with Tim I do like your Grallator Print .

5 hours ago, Masp said:

Here we have a dromeaosaurid vert in the first two pics, then in the third pic a finger bone. 

5FD5ED7B-3BBD-43F1-A1E8-27CCCE727AED.jpegE142F787-B5B5-4793-A992-B6305F6C9930.jpeg

I don't think this is dromaeosaurid. It doesn't seem slender enough.

5 hours ago, Masp said:

Lastly an adolescent Brachiosaurus bone with puncture wound bite marks from Allosaurus. 

87A47E35-75FA-4224-9F9A-104BE2CCC91F.jpeg

I'm not sure how a bone chunk like that can be identified to genus. But the marks do look potentially interesting. Could you perhaps post some more photos of these marks? If these are indeed tooth marks I suppose size alone can be used to eliminate a number of possible candidates. Though there are other large theropods where Allosaurus lived as well, like Torvosaurus and Saurophaganax (though some consider this to be Allosaurus as well).

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Sure I’ll do that. In the meantime,  what type of vert do you think this is? The finger bone too.  Those both I bought from someone who said he was an expert, but not a paleontologist. However, the bone with the teeth marks were bought from a paleontologist. He’s from Hicksville Gregory Museum and may have found this chunk with other associated bones. 

I think most of these bones are a bit fragmented. That makes a positive ID quite hard. But I'm also more familiar with Cretaceous material and less so with Jurassic. If you have proper location information that could at least give you an idea what type of animals these could be and eliminate other possibilities. The Allosaurus fauna is pretty well studied.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

5 minutes ago, Masp said:

from Hicksville Gregory Museum and may have found this chunk with other associated bones. 

Assuming he really is a paleontologist than he wouldn’t sell it to you if it was. Associated bones should and are (except with those who lack morals) kept together. He likely called it a sauropod because that was simple, in the way I’d say that I’m showing someone who’s never been to Calvert cliffs a whale bone when really that’s just the likelihood.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I’m not sure if they are associated bones found together, I was just guessing that as a possibility. He never stated that himself.  I’m not sure if I’m allowed to mention names here but, I did look him up and he’s a paleontologist / contributer to that nonprofit museum in NY. All money from fossils sold by him is donated to the museum. 

Here is my assessment on dino material

Allosaurus bone...hard to see how anyone could identify that to that species unless it came from a skeleton that was broken up.   There are a lot of big theropods in the Morrison that it would fit. 

Dromaeosaurid  vert... does not look like one.  Need better photos and locality to try to determine if its dinosaurian 

Finger bone....need locality and more pictures to determine if its dinosaurian 

Brachiosaurus bone with puncture wound bite marks from Allosaurus...not sure how anyone could ID the bone or bite marks to any species.  Nothing diagnostic 

Both the claimed allosaurus bone and  brachiosaurus bone were found in Hanksville, Utah. I can try contacting the paleontologist for more answers otherwise I’m not sure. 

Archived