NJ Fossil Expo Saturday 4/08/18

Masp

Yup, figured as much. Lol. Gotta keep my fingers crossed for something. I’ll get back to you with the response from the seller. You’re helping me out tremendously

17 hours ago, Masp said:

94DE727E-0013-405E-8439-C003E8A94C85.jpeg

I'd say this looks quite similar to this vert from my collection. Also from Hell Creek. Which Troodon also identified as non-dinosaurian.

large.Theropoda_vert01.jpg.6d8ddc312343f9951771c689d3ecc42d.jpg

Also am I right in seeing a hollow space on the broken end of that toe bone? If so that could indicate theropod.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Oh yeah. That ver looks 100% identical. 

The toe bone has holes and hollow space like you’re saying, yeah. 

The paleontologist responded to my email. @Troodon @LordTrilobite @Fossildude19

Anyone in the forum please chime in 

This is regarding the allosaurus and the brachiosaurus bone. My question to him was:

How can we tell that both bones are attributed to these two dinosaurs, and also, regarding the brachiosaurus bone;  are the bite marks on it crocodilian? 

His response:

As far as the allosaurus:  99% of all allosaurus bones are always black in the Morrison formation in Hanksville, UT. Also from the associated bones we find them with (jaws, teeth) tell us and their shape also gives us the information.  The ribs are slightly rounded and flat on bottom - almost oval in shape. The museum in Price, UT has a wonderful collection of allosaurus bones that show this.

The brachiosaurus are identified based on the other bones found with it.  Brachiosaurus and camarasaurus are the most prevalent.  But the camarasaurus are grayish in color and brachiosaurus are brown in color possibly due to the vegetation they ate.

The puncture wounds are mostly likely not crocodilian because no crocodile bones have never been found there.  If it was a scavenger there would be tears.  This does not appear to be that.  The bite marks get rounded due to the age of the bones.

I hope this helps.

The colour of fossil bone is often due to properties of the sediment in which it was formed. Two pieces of the same bone can have wildly different colours if one part of the bone was preserved a meter away from another part. Though I cannot say I am familiar in anyway with Morrison formation sediment.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Guess I need to change the labels on all my black morrison Formation bones to Allosaurus even the herbivores :o since lots of my bones come from Carbon County.  

Wow also a new theory presented, that the color of bones is due to the food they ate and not the sediments they were mineralized in, wow thats news worthy....Sorry but greyish bones are typically sun faded and he calls himself a paleontologist ;)

I can buy his thinking if the bones came from the same quarry but not a general area.  It still does not address the issue that your large Allosaurus called bone does appear to be theropod.    I'm still in the camp that your bones are too fragmentary to say what they are, the color story is totally bogus and the predation marks do not look like they were made from a theopod tooth. 

4 hours ago, Masp said:

The paleontologist responded to my email. @Troodon @LordTrilobite @Fossildude19

Anyone in the forum please chime in 

This is regarding the allosaurus and the brachiosaurus bone. My question to him was:

How can we tell that both bones are attributed to these two dinosaurs, and also, regarding the brachiosaurus bone;  are the bite marks on it crocodilian? 

His response:

As far as the allosaurus:  99% of all allosaurus bones are always black in the Morrison formation in Hanksville, UT. Also from the associated bones we find them with (jaws, teeth) tell us and their shape also gives us the information.  The ribs are slightly rounded and flat on bottom - almost oval in shape. The museum in Price, UT has a wonderful collection of allosaurus bones that show this.

The brachiosaurus are identified based on the other bones found with it.  Brachiosaurus and camarasaurus are the most prevalent.  But the camarasaurus are grayish in color and brachiosaurus are brown in color possibly due to the vegetation they ate.

The puncture wounds are mostly likely not crocodilian because no crocodile bones have never been found there.  If it was a scavenger there would be tears.  This does not appear to be that.  The bite marks get rounded due to the age of the bones.

I hope this helps.

His response is hogwash!

The color of the bones can vary based on deposition. One articulated set of bones can have various colors. 

And that black rib is very likely a proximal portion of a sauropod rib.

And those puncture marks can very likely be from Goniopholis. Just because no croc bones have been found doesn’t mean they were not fed on by crocs. They could also be from burrowing insects. 

I haven't looked back at the bones in question here, but I am with the others in calling BS on the color thing.  

I pretty much agree with everything troodon has said, except that I don't think the little tail vert is Champsosuarus.  They have a very distinctive pattern on top where the neural arch was loosely attached and I don't see it on this bone.  To call a big chunk of leg bone anything other than sauropod is guessing.

Blackened teeth in mammals can be caused by infection,malnutrition,anaemia or thalassemia,or developmental complications(Amelogenesis or dentinogenesis imperfecta).

11 hours ago, jpc said:

I pretty much agree with everything troodon has said, except that I don't think the little tail vert is Champsosuarus.  They have a very distinctive pattern on top where the neural arch was loosely attached and I don't see it on this bone.  To call a big chunk of leg bone anything other than sauropod is guessing.

Thanks.  I know what you mean with the Champs vert but based my ID on these distal caudals A, B & C.  But again could be Croc.

20180410_070053.thumb.jpg.d581897defaa6df4cdfdd88c1fe073ea.jpg

Missed the show but glad to see you got some goodies. Were there a lot of fossil dealers this year? Last year it seemed like there were very few and the show was only half its size.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks! There were several dealers selling fossils.  I agree, there weren’t as many as I expected, but it was cool. A lot of vendors in general.  Just got to be careful who you buy from.  I wish there were more authority over those things,  but anyway it was completely worth going. 

27 minutes ago, Masp said:

Just got to be careful who you buy from.  I wish there were more authority over those things

Hi Masp

I understand your disappointment completely and you have every right to be. As for the seller his response to you was nonsensical and dishonest . All said and done you still have a sauropod bone with crocodilian bite marks . To me this is an incredible record of two spectacular creature locked in  an ancient drama or trials. I still think it is a great fossil indeed. I would like it in my collection. I hope you did not mind me saying this. Cheers Bobby 

Actually I don’t mind at all. Your message made me feel much better. I needed to hear that, thanks a lot! 

Now if I can only figure out the black bone hahah 

I LOVE that brachiosaurus bone with bite marks. That's the kind of piece you can hold in your hand for hours thinking about it. Really cool :)

• 2 months later...
On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, Masp said:

Lastly an adolescent Brachiosaurus bone with puncture wound bite marks from Allosaurus. 

87A47E35-75FA-4224-9F9A-104BE2CCC91F.jpeg

Great find! One day I want to own a Brachiosaurus tooth! One can only wish!

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Archived