Need Help Identifying Tooth(?)

infinitempg

During our treks around Florida we stumbled across something we, and our friends, have been unable to identify.  It appears to be a tooth but what looks like bone at the base is rather square.  Was hoping someone in here could help us figure out exactly what this thing is.

Thanks in advance for your help.

20161130_193136.jpg

20161130_193230.jpg

Brett nailed it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The root of this object appears to me to be too deep to be giant tortoise.  My guess is that this is a bit of armor from a glyptothere (not necessarily from the tail).

glyptodonttail.jpg

tortoise_osteoderms_comp.JPG

• I found this Informative 8

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

i think it's a giant tortoise leg spur. 

These can have deep roots.

Image result for tortoise spur fossilThis one from an auction site.Image result for tortoise spur fossil

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

+1 for tortoise osteoderm.

DSC_0784-500x486.jpg.69c10310c9e92ea82a3cc687ded63aa4.jpg

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Examine carefully.  Notice that none of the tortoise spurs has flat, angular roots.  They all have rounded, cushion-shaped roots.  Notice also the proportional length between the root and the exposed portion of each spur.  Then look at the glyptothere spike.  Different root and different proportions.  

Here are some more examples of tortoise spurs which were easy to put together from my sale surplus:

tortoise_spurs.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

What seest thou else

Thanks for all the feedback and I think that is the right path.  Looked at all the examples and the odd thing with the one we have is the base is almost perfectly square.  Most the other examples have sort of rounded bases.  Is the base just broken bone or is that a natural shape?

On 4/8/2018 at 5:20 PM, Harry Pristis said:

The root of this object appears to me to be too deep to be giant tortoise.  My guess is that this is a bit of armor from a glyptothere (not necessarily from the tail).

glyptodonttail.jpg

tortoise_osteoderms_comp.JPG

In the color photo here, the one on the left certainly looks like a glyptodont but the 3 on the right are turtles in my experience.

1 hour ago, Carl said:

In the color photo here, the one on the left certainly looks like a glyptodont but the 3 on the right are turtles in my experience.

That's correct, Carl, (except, the three are tortoise spurs, not turtle).  The comparison was the original purpose of the image.  For this thread, the glyptothere element is not very useful.  

• I found this Informative 2

What seest thou else

3 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

That's correct, Carl, (except, the three are tortoise spurs, not turtle).  The comparison was the original purpose of the image.  For this thread, the glyptothere element is not very useful.  

Whew! Thanks for that. 

Appreciate all the feedback and info, lessons being learned with every reply I read.  The thing is this is very squared off at the base and have searched and searched and searched and have yet to find anything that is even remotely squared off like this.

spike02.jpg.185c44d4a64c4ad5aac1355f297fc321.jpg

spike01.jpg.9376da443fd09567f4cdd38903b1b26d.jpg

spike03.jpg.df504fa298c7cec4bd470995ed9309bf.jpg

On 4/8/2018 at 2:20 PM, Harry Pristis said:

bit of armor from a glyptothere

1 hour ago, infinitempg said:

The thing is this is very squared off at the base and have searched and searched and searched and have yet to find anything that is even remotely squared off like this.

I think Harry Pristis is correct in His ID of Your object. 

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Sounds like that's the best guess and from photos I've seen that pretty much nails it.  The shape of the base is odd and haven't seen another like it but that's definitely where I put a stake in the ground so to speak.

Many thanks for all your help!

9 minutes ago, infinitempg said:

Sounds like that's the best guess and from photos I've seen that pretty much nails it.  The shape of the base is odd and haven't seen another like it but that's definitely where I put a stake in the ground so to speak.

Many thanks for all your help!

On behalf of the Fossil Forum, You are welcome.

We would like to see more of Your finds, feel free to post more.

Ynot

PS Nice find!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.