Winner of the March 2018 Vertebrate Fossil Of The Month!

Cris

• Cris featured this topic

Congrats @Uncle Siphuncle

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Congratulations  Uncle Siphuncle !  That was a beauty !

' Keep calm and carry on fossiling '

Congrats Dan, amazing find for sure:fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Thanks yall.  That one provided "thrill of discovery without the pain of recovery".  I have a strong preference for same-day-portable fossils, though, like this one.

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Congrats Dan, :dinothumb: I read the story of this discovery with greediness, little as a child who discovers a whole magic world !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Congratulation on such a mammoth find

Mike D'Arcy

Congratulations, Uncle! 

A well deserved win. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

While I’m generally known as a “finders-keepers” collector when I stumble onto something impressive, I knew I’d met my match with this one.  Giving it away to a motivated buddy was a decision that came easily.  Handing off this chance speaks of how I value my buddies.

While the section closest to the surface was unstable, condition of the rest  was unknown.  I knew I could have been giving away a largely solid tusk potentially, but I was at peace with my snap decision to step away from this one.  

It wasn’t a”handout” per se, as Herculean sweat equity was required to have a chance to even assess the thing.  But I tend to hang out with industrious individuals who take calculated risks for occasional huge rewards, so digging without guarantees was our Manifest Destiny.

I’d have to say that my favorite part of the experience was the camaraderie and brainstorming of logistics with a small cadre of trusted buddies during the nail biting weekdays between recovery sessions.  

“To the motivated go the spoils!” (But not every time.)

Grüße,

Congratulations, Dan. What a feeling that must have been, to see that huge tusk finally exposed. Sigh...my favorite fossil animal.

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Congratulations on the spectacular find, Dan.  You don't fool me though...you knew the thing was mush when you handed it over to to your poor, unsuspecting friend! :D  "...industrious individuals who take calculated risks for occasional huge rewards", huh? Looks more like an opportunity to giggle softly while somebody busts his hump trying to save a lost cause!  (Just kidding, of course!)

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

1 hour ago, Fruitbat said:

Congratulations on the spectacular find, Dan.  You don't fool me though...you knew the thing was mush when you handed it over to to your poor, unsuspecting friend! :D  "...industrious individuals who take calculated risks for occasional huge rewards", huh? Looks more like an opportunity to giggle softly while somebody busts his hump trying to save a lost cause!  (Just kidding, of course!)

-Joe

A little schadenfreude is good for the soul.

Grüße,

Congrats @Uncle Siphuncle on this phenomenal find!!! When you first posted pictures of it, I just knew for sure that it would completely steal the show and take first place. I am glad that you put it in the FOTM after all! 

And a very generous action of you to give it to your buddy :dinothumb: 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I guess you could say this is a find of mammoth proportions! :P

Congrats on the literally huge find!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Congratulations Dan.  I hope Anthony can get Humpty Dumpty put back together again, although then he will be the one needing a bigger house.  Probably worth it to display a fossil like that one.

Don

51 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Congratulations Dan.  I hope Anthony can get Humpty Dumpty put back together again, although then he will be the one needing a bigger house.  Probably worth it to display a fossil like that one.

Don

The old adage of “choose your battles” applies to both marriage and fossil collecting....sometimes simultaneously.

Grüße,

Archived