Rhaetian Bone ID

Welsh Wizard

Hi

Help needed please, Does anyone recognise what this bone is? It's from the late Triassic, rhaetian of the UK. I don't think it's broken and I suspect it's a skull bone but that's the extent of my guesses. It's about 3 inches long and pretty thin.

The outcrop is a bone bed which is mainly marine ie ichthyosaurs, plesiosaurs and fish but it does contain the remains of land animals. Bones are isolated and it's extremely rare to find anything associated.

thanks

Nick

IMG_2566.JPG

Some more angles will be needed I think. Looks pretty thin, so I’m thinking fish though I’m no expert on this Material.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

12 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Some more angles will be needed I think. Looks pretty thin, so I’m thinking fish though I’m no expert on this Material.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll see if I can take some different angles but there's not much else to see as it's such a thin bone.

Fish are the most common Nick as you know. There is a hint of a part of a ichthyosaur neural process about this I think. I can post some images of mine from Lavenock but I’m not home until Wednesday.