"Petoskey Stone" cleanup?

Kevinowski

Hello, all.  New to the form and first post. I wanted to share what my daughter found among the wood chips in our neighborhood playground and ask if there's a way to "clean" it up (remove the rocks, etc.) without damage. I believe it is a petoskey stone and I'm not interested in polishing it, as I can purchase polished stones pretty much anywhere here in Michigan.

Thanks!

20180408_170255.jpg

20180408_170201.jpg

Simply pluck them off with some tweezers or pick them with a needle, should come off rather easy and I don’t suspect it will break the coral.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

The stones could be fairly easily removed with a bit of gentle persuasion, I should think, as WhodamanHD suggested, but I'd probably leave it like RJB. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I'd use a toothbrush and water. Petoskys are a hard enough stone that you can scrub hard without damaging it.

Welcome to the Forum!

Archived