Petrified Log?

ilikeike222

Hello! I've had this in my yard for years and years. I'm not sure as to what type of tree it is or what kind of growths are on it. It looks to be like a lot of varieties of quartz. Any info is greatly appreciated!.. thanks!

15201838057092071060762_164.jpg

t_1520184017401221988599_526.jpg

Edited by ilikeike222
  • I found this Informative 1

Very nice. 

A picture or two of the ends would be good. 

Probably not possible to tell the type of tree. 

It's agatized, preserved in different colours of agate, (crypotocrystalline silica) 

And hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

This looks more like a chert nodule to me.  :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to TFF!

I think this maybe a cast rather than replacement.

The wood had rotted out and the hole was then filled with agate.

No way to tell species and age would be dependent on where it was found.

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I don't see any type of grain structure. Just an observation and with my vision it may not even be a good one.

4 hours ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

I think this maybe a cast rather than replacement.

The wood had rotted out and the hole was then filled with agate.

No way to tell species and age would be dependent on where it was found.

Tony or anyone who has knowledge of fossilized wood... I occasionally find wood while hunting.. Here are a couple of pieces from a month ago. Is it possible to identify the type of wood by looking at the grain ?  I just do not know if it is worth seeking an answer or looking for scientific studies of fossil wood identification.

IMG_0945FossilizedWood.jpg

IMG_0947FossilizedWood2.jpg

IMG_0948FossilizedWood2.jpg

IMG_0949FossilizedWood.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Welcome to the Forum from Texas.

Nice piece. I would mind having something like that in my yard. I’ve found large rock items I’d love to have in my yard, but don’t have a means of getting out of where I found them and to my house.

One thing we need to know is where the item was found or originated from. That is critical for any ID. The formation is very helpful if you know the formation it was from. If not the closest town or landmark where it was found.

I’m not saying we can ID it, but it would get us closer to the mark. Something found in Denver, Colorado would be different than that in Glen Rose, Texas.

Welcome to the forum. Kim is right and in Texas we're lucky to have these clickable maps for very accurate geologic detail. The formation codes are on the panel on the right. The paper versions of this series available at the U.T. bookstore come with a booklet describing the rock and I'm told some of these can be found online but I've never looked.

http://www.twdb.texas.gov/groundwater/aquifer/GAT/

• I found this Informative 1

16 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Is it possible to identify the type of wood by looking at the grain ?  I just do not know if it is worth seeking an answer or looking for scientific studies of fossil wood identification.

It is much dependent on the level of preservation.

There are easily seen features that can identify soft woods from hard woods from palms. There are some other woody plants that have unique structures.

If the cellular structures of the wood have been well preserved You can cut and polish the piece to determine a genus or species.

For detailed identification You would need 3 cuts, a cross section, a lateral cross section through the rings and one 90% to that, parallel to the ring alignment,

You then need to analyse the rings, rays, pores and vesicle - sizes and placements within the wood cells.

You can do a general id with 10 x magnification on most wood, but some wood requires a much higher magnification.

• I found this Informative 4

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

It is much dependent on the level of preservation.

There are easily seen features that can identify soft woods from hard woods from palms. There are some other woody plants that have unique structures.

If the cellular structures of the wood have been well preserved You can cut and polish the piece to determine a genus or species.

For detailed identification You would need 3 cuts, a cross section, a lateral cross section through the rings and one 90% to that, parallel to the ring alignment,

You then need to analyse the rings, rays, pores and vesicle - sizes and placements within the wood cells.

You can do a general id with 10 x magnification on most wood, but some wood requires a much higher magnification.

Tony,

My question has exposed just a little of your expertise!!! I was thinking that the flat one was Live Oak and the other Palm, but then I am the type who reaches conclusions on minimal data... Guess I am going to have to get a lot of gear ( roch slicers and polishers) to make any real progress..

Thanks for a good answer.  Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

2 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I was thinking that the flat one was Live Oak and the other Palm,

Both have unique structures and are easy to identify, but there are a lot of different species of oak and palm.