1st try fossil hunting was succesful (IMO)

Nientje

My 18 year old son and I went on our 1st ever fossil hunt and were very succesful, at least we think so. We didn't find anything in the locations that were mentioned as being fossil rich but after looking around outcroppings and riverbeds for hours with nothing to our name, we decided to go for a walk before heading back to Washington, while hoping it might still produce something. 

By now we had become 'seasoned' in finding outcroppings that might contain fossils of course. We are fast learners. ;-) And yes, not too far into our walk we came across something that looked like an outcropping. Sure enough.. we found many 'blocks' as seen on the pictures. These blocks were all over the place at the bottom of the outcropping. We only spend a little time there because it was late in the day and took about 5 with us but there were many more. I am sure it must be spot that not many people know of unlike all the other sites that had nothing. We will head back when weather is sunnier. 

I was surprised to see that there are many pieces of shells on some of these.

My understanding is that these fossils belong to the Oligocene age but in all honesty I am not sure. I am a novice for sure but plan to learn and hope to find out. I am considering if I should break some blocks open to see if I can find more fossils inside but I will 1st do some research and decide based upon that. 

oregon1.jpg

oregon2.jpg

oregon3.jpg

oregon4.jpg

oregon8.jpg

oregon7.jpg

oregon6.jpg

oregon5.jpg

Very nice. :)

Some definite success. 

The bivalve could be Acila sp. but others may have better ideas. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hello and Happy hunting! I can see bivalve fossils along with bivalve impressions in some of your pics. If you could try to take some close up pics we might be able to see some other types of fossils as well. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Success is defined by the person experiencing it, that being said I’d say that’s pretty successful! Love those hashes!  

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

You did have a good hunt! Look at all those bivalves. Welcome to The Forum and the hunt! :)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Successful? I certainly agree. You did, indeed, find fossils and what could be better than being out in the natural world in the company of someone you love? Welcome, and I wish you continuing success and enjoyment in your fossil adventures.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I hear that there are fantastic fossils in the state of Washington and there are people on this forum who have found some of them, like this gem....

Aturia.jpg.ae92fd7f530da00b430aeed91a88c99c.jpg

Welcome, I hope you stay interested. 

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Congratulation to your persistance! Nothing at the "advertised" spost, then a walk - and there they are! You and your junior have the real fossil hunting gene. Searching for new sites is much more fun then collecting at known sites!

Good luck for the future!
Franz Bernhard

Kudos! You found what you were looking for even if you had no idea what you would find.

They call that serendipity. :zen:

Looking and then finding. That is what it is all about especially when a loved one is by your side learning right along with you.

:D

Those Bivalves are sweet! Nice going! :D

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

23 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Congratulation to your persistance! Nothing at the "advertised" spost, then a walk - and there they are! You and your junior have the real fossil hunting gene. Searching for new sites is much more fun then collecting at known sites!

Good luck for the future!
Franz Bernhard

Thank you. The adventure is a reward in itself and the fact we found this 'unknown' site was a huge bonus. It made it much sweeter. We are avid hikers and I think it helped us out. Once we knew what we were looking for as in landscape it was easier to figure out where we might find potential sites but still it took many hours and dead ends till we ran into one, but that is what made it so awesome. :) 

21 hours ago, bone2stone said:

Kudos! You found what you were looking for even if you had no idea what you would find.

They call that serendipity. :zen:

Looking and then finding. That is what it is all about especially when a loved one is by your side learning right along with you.

:D

So true. We had no clue and were expecting we would have more luck finding something next to the river banks. We are learning so much already about what happened in that particular area in Oregon and what we found. It is great to do this together. :)

Those are awesome bivalves! I love the mass mortality plates with so many bivalves like that. :wub: 

Fantastic finds, congrats!

Oh, and a warm welcome to TFF too! :ighappy:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Archived