Merritt Island mystery #8

old bones

Hey is another mystery found in Sacha's Merritt Island, Florida Pleistocene matrix. I don't have a clue how to classify this one. The image shows 3 views if the same piece on the left, and 2 separate bits on the right. I can't tell if these fit together or not. Note the puckered hollows and the blue translucent bumps which are actually that colour! This is one of the strangest things to come out of this matrix. Any ideas?

5acaaf00e2115_MI2BlueBumps.thumb.jpg.f8756f027face5a805f25547fdd7381d.jpg

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Tony,

I have found many of those pharyngeal tooth plates in matrices like the Peace River gravel, but this doesn't look like them to me. And they all have perfectly round/ oval tooth 'sockets', these are very different.

Julianna

22 hours ago, ynot said:

What about part of a frog jaw?

I don't think so Tony... These bits are so very different from the confirmed frog jaws and teeth that I do have. :( 

Thanks for trying to help. Don't know if I'll ever know on some of these things...drives me crazy! lol

7 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Those are beautiful, Julianna! I know I haven't come across anything like it, but I'm only maybe 1/4 of the way through my second (and last) box. :popcorn:

Just out of curiosity, how many boxes of matrix have you been through?

Thanks Lori. I thought so too. I went back thru my messages with Sacha, and it looks like I have spent the last three years hunting thru roughly 20+ gallons of Merritt Island matrix!

May they be dermal denticles ?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

7 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

May they be dermal denticles ?

I really can't say at this point. :headscratch: But I thank you for having a go at this. :)

Some lizards have skin scales with "thorns" which might look like the ones from your picture, but in this case they should be in an excellent preservation.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

That would be awesome! I haven't come across any pictures like that in my books or PDFs. I'll keep looking... :)

Archived