Andy B

Well, I wrote a whole long story about my first trip from NJ to MD, and then I hit some key on my keyboard while I was typing and it deleted or overwrote everything. So here is the shortened version.

I left NJ at 2AM on 3/30 and made it to the beach parking lot about 5:45AM. I may have left later but my assessment of the tides seemed to indicate that low was around sun-up. I think I got it wrong. Oh well, there was less traffic anyway. I knew nothing about this place except what I could read on the internet and the advice from a few people in here (Thanks you all!!!). I was dressed and on the beach by 6AM, and I was excited!

So I spent the 21 hours over the next two days searching high and low on the beach. It was the most frustrating time I can remember (doing anything!!). I guess I was just not prepared for hunting at the beach. I couldn't find anything. Not a single tooth. At least not for a good 3-4 hours. Then, I chatted for a minute with a woman that was collecting near me. She looked like she was finding things in spots I had just walked over. I told her my story and she helped my see a little better. And she showed me how to find baby teeth in the shells. I felt a little better at least having something in my pocket to show for the trip, even if the teeth were around a 1/4" in size. So most of the rest of my 1st day I spent searching the gravel piles for these baby teeth just so I could have something to bring home. I actually did find 2 other damaged teeth that were of a more legitimate size (in my mind ;) ). One was a Snaggletooth and the other I still don't know what it is. But it was heavier and thicker than anything I had found earlier. Maybe you guys can opine.

I didn't do much better the next day either but it was a beautiful, pre-Easter day and I was away from home at the beach and I talked with a lot of really nice people that were also out looking for lightly buried treasure. I spent 12 hours that day (6AM-6PM) roaming from one end of the beach to the other. I did actually find a bunch of interesting souvenirs to stuff my pockets with. Nothing fancy, but interesting to me at least. And I even managed to find a handful of bones and ray plates (which I liked!) and a few vert's and some shells and even a handful more baby-sized teeth with a few medium sized ones thrown in as well. The day was winding down for me. I had to make the 4 hour drive home that night and I was tired, so I began to subconsciously head back to the parking lot. I hadn't  found a trip maker yet but it was beginning not to matter anymore. I had a fun trip and figured I'd just have to come back and try again someday. But on my way back to the parking lot I actually did find my trip maker. I found a beautiful blue Snaggletooth. I almost stepped on it as I climbed over some washed up debris. When I looked down and picked it up out of the sand, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I think I may have yelped out loud a little bit. And I never figured I'd find a Megoladon tooth, so to me, this was the tooth I had hoped to find. NOW, I felt satisfied. And I actually found a couple more and some other medium sized teeth on the way out. When I got the home and spread them out, I was very surprised by the number of different types of sharks I had found. I have some Hemi's, some Tiger sharks, Some Lemon sharks, Some long teeth like Sand Tigers or maybe even a Mako. I'm sure there must be another type or two in the pile. Maybe you guys can lend some expertise for me. So I felt very satisfied with the trip, even though it was the last hour or so that blew things wide open for me.

Please feel free to offer an opinion on any of the things I found. I am only able to guess at some of the teeth. I would guess I found some porpoise ribs and some other bones. And 2-3 types of vert's, not counting the white one that probably isn't a fossil. One other thing that was surprising was the number of different looking Ray plates.

Thanks for looking and for the trip tips before I left! Andy

sm20180330_053912.jpg

smIMG_3935.jpg

sm20180330_063103.jpg

sm20180331_142358.jpg

Some closer shots. Day 1 teeth followed by Day 2. Top left in the 1st pic is the heavier tooth.

smIMG_3940.jpg

smIMG_3941.jpg

Some of the teeth I liked. A couple or three were brown when I picked them up. They looked a lot different that all the others in color. Not sure what makes them a different color but they were unique.

smIMG_3953.jpg

smIMG_3954.jpg

smIMG_3955.jpg

Not a trophy size, but I think this is my favorite tooth. It had a very cool shape and color and the root was very thick from front to back. It just struck me as a nice tooth!

smIMG_3956.jpg

I've run out of room to upload any more pics but there is one last tooth I am curious about. It is underneath the dime in the Day 2 teeth pic above. I would guess a Seven Gill Cow Shark??

There are 2 other things at the bottom of that picture that I was hoping for some opinions on. I think they are both the inner part of a tooth, if that is even possible. Kind of like what might be left if the entire tooth washed away and you got down to the pulp I guess. One is opaque while the other is clear. When I first saw the clear one I thought it was some type of scale or something. But if you look closely, it seems to be in the shape of what might have been a shark tooth. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for looking. Andy

3 minutes ago, old bones said:

Really nice finds! I like the spiral gastropods on the half shell :)

Thanks. That is exactly how it was laying on the sand. I almost brought it home but I thought it would look better sitting on a log for everyone else to see.

Very nice finds, especially the meg! And I do believe the one under the dime is a cow. You may find the white vert is that of a modern fish, but the one to the bottom right of that is a cetacean vert. The tiger shark like teeth are Physogaleus contortus (used to be in the same genus as the tiger shark). Glad you found some nice things!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Andy B said:

ome closer shots. Day 1 teeth followed by Day 2. Top left in the 1st pic is the heavier tooth.

Aww man ... I'd love to get back to Brownies beach someday.  That tooth in the upper right looks like an Alopias sp. with the more robust root and tooth.  Lacking serrations. Nice Haul.

smIMG_3940.jpg.0833968e934023021a1b557dbaed12a3.jpg.e413655c3b818a291972c9c3445dadb4.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

I'd say you did really well for your first time there! Congratulations on a good hunt!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

A most excellent haul! 

Thanks for sharing, you had a very successful day after a slow start. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

11 hours ago, Andy B said:

Some other closer shots of the non-teeth.

smIMG_3942.jpg

On the bottom of this pic, the two smaller fossils remind me a part of squid : https://www.google.fr/search?q=bellosepia&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjStuTdkq3aAhVJtRQKHXinAdgQ_AUICygC&biw=1399&bih=735#imgrc=_

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Great finds! Glad you stuck with it and got some nice teeth. Nice meg and some gorgeous snaggles. Thanks for sharing!

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

@Andy B that's really awesome. I loved scouring the beaches there in search of Miocene fossils. Turritella's in the shell look nice and so does that Thresher tooth. You did really well.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

In the second image, that line of hemis is killer!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

10 hours ago, Coco said:

Thanks Coco. They are wood. Maybe old or maybe new but I liked some of the shapes so I took a few pieces home.

Thanks everyone else for the congrats. Is there really a Meg in there? Maybe that's the one I couldn't Identify. It's just so small I never would have thought. :dinothumb::megdance::)

10 minutes ago, Andy B said:

Thanks Coco. They are wood. Maybe old or maybe new but I liked some of the shapes so I took a few pieces home.

Thanks everyone else for the congrats. Is there really a Meg in there? Maybe that's the one I couldn't Identify. It's just so small I never would have thought. :dinothumb::megdance::)

The meg/chub is the biggest tooth you found. It is the tan tooth with serrations at the top of the pic next to a hemi from day one.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

7 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

The meg/chub is the biggest tooth you found. It is the tan tooth with serrations at the top of the pic next to a hemi from day one.

Haha. Sadly I just searched meg/chub on the internet...

Sorry for the ignorance but what is the chub part of meg/chub please?

35 minutes ago, Andy B said:

Haha. Sadly I just searched meg/chub on the internet...

Sorry for the ignorance but what is the chub part of meg/chub please?

It refers to a relative of the Meg, Carcharocles chubutensis. 

Though the name may have changed again, lots of this stuff is disputed. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Archived