UFO? (Unidentified Fossil Object)

Malone

Another piece from the rock canyon anticline. Both are approximately inch. I find many of these and didn't know if they are worth further investigation or even if they are identifiable, but I have seen amazing diagnosis and seemingly valueless things have scientific  value. After seeing the amount of effort and the amount of scientific information continually being amassed I thought it would be worth asking.

IMG_3765.JPG

IMG_4494.JPG

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

Look like bits of shell.

The first looks gastropod and the second looks bivalve.

Thank you! Wasn't sure. I read in a USGS report that there were rare  shell fragments here, so I thought it was worth checking. I also don't have even the basic knowledge to know what to look for, other than things that don't look like a rock.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to UFO? (Unidentified Fossil Object)

Yes, bivalves, i think! 

Always worth picking up interesting looking objects. 

You never know.......:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just to make things more complicated, the first one could also be brachiopod. Hard to tell. What's the stratigraphy? I don't know what canyon you're talking about.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, bivalves, i think! 

Always worth picking up interesting looking objects. 

You never know.......:)

Yeah that's especially true for me. The USGS said there were rare fragments but they didn't specify what ones, so would you have any ideas where to find that out? Also they mentioned Gastropoda, but didn't specify any of the names.

1 minute ago, Ludwigia said:

Just to make things more complicated, the first one could also be brachiopod. Hard to tell. What's the stratigraphy? I don't know what canyon you're talking about.

It's a debris pile from the rock canyon anticline. I have no more specifics than that. 

2 hours ago, Malone said:

Yeah that's especially true for me. The USGS said there were rare fragments but they didn't specify what ones, so would you have any ideas where to find that out? Also they mentioned Gastropoda, but didn't specify any of the names.

Sorry, no idea.

Fruitbat's library is always worth a look. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, Malone said:

It's the world stratotype boundary used by geologist for the Cretaceous layer.

world stratotype boundary?

I had never heard of this so I googled it.  Here is what I found on Wikipedia... which never lies.  It seems it might be the WSB for the Turonian which is a subset of the Cretaceous. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Global_Boundary_Stratotype_Sections_and_Points#Cretaceous

Seems that the Rock canyon Anticline is outside of Pueblo, CO and it is has a good exposure and biostratigraphic record in the Greenhorn Formation which is Turonian in age and maybe spans the Cenomanian/Turomian boundary. 

https://www.geo.umass.edu/faculty/leckie/Leckie 1985.pdf.  

52 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

can recommend this,BTW:

var2teeeftry22m35plwillist.jpg

turo(about 4,5 MB)

outtake:

2teeeddtry22m35plwillist.jpg

Once again your capacity to come up with relevant research is amazing! Thank you very much!

To me, the first picture shows two oyster valves (possibly inoceramids) with part of their shells worn/knocked off and the second definitely shows an inoceramid shell. 

Here is is another article about the canyon:

https://www.kqed.org/science/10292

Just now, Heteromorph said:

To me, the first picture shows two oysters (possibly inoceramids) with part of their shells worn/knocked off and the second definitely shows an inoceramid shell. 

Here is is another article about the canyon:

https://www.kqed.org/science/10292

Thank you! I really appreciate the response!

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Sorry, no idea.

Fruitbat's library is always worth a look. 

Thank you! I thought fruitbat was a title here on the forum until you mentioned it and then searched it on the internet.

The first specimen hides two valves of a bivalve, possibly from the same individual.
The second specimen looks to be a ferruginous bivalve shell fragment.
So, no UFO. :D

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

The first specimen hides two valves of a bivalve, possibly from the same individual.
The second specimen looks to be a ferruginous bivalve shell fragment.
So, no UFO. :D

Thanks for responding! It is appreciated!

Archived