Tiny mammal footprint fossil w/claws(?)

Leigha

Hi everyone!

This print is found on a concretion--no idea how old, or where it originated from; it was purchased in a specialty shop in Sedona AZ many years ago. It wasn't until just recently I noticed what appears to be a footprint w/4 digits; sharp claws. almost looks like maybe the outer surface might have flowed a bit over the print (?)  What do you think? Am I just seeing circus animals in the clouds?  I keep trying to upload images that really show the details, but keep getting bumped, even though I'm below the 3.95 MB.

IMG_20180408_224119.jpg

This appears to be a surface fracture mark where a piece of a layer in the concretion has broken off in an interesting pattern rather than a footprint.

There is a smaller second shape in the first photo that is also remarkably track like.

The fact that they appear to be on a concretion would seem to make that quite unlikely though.

It would also seem that the scratches, if left by claws, would have been erased by the foot as the track was completed. 

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I have to agree, this looks like normal wear and tear on the concretion.  :( 

Erosion, chipping, and water/sand wearing and smoothing.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The formation process of a concretion precludes there ever being a footprint on the surface.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you so much everyone!! I can definitely agree; weird that it looks like claws!   --I'm not even sure what a "concretion" truly is, I've heard they're Dino poop, butttt.... not sure that was a reputable source.  Thank you again!

11 minutes ago, Leigha said:

Thank you so much everyone!! I can definitely agree; weird that it looks like claws!   --I'm not even sure what a "concretion" truly is, I've heard they're Dino poop, butttt.... not sure that was a reputable source.  Thank you again!

Not a reputable source of information.:headscratch:

Concretion : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concretion

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

12 minutes ago, Leigha said:

They are different from dino poop; however, they can contain coprolites. :)

Chan-Parry-concretions.pdf

3 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

dino poop

Reputable source for strait poop on dino poop.

Archived