Hunting in SW Wisconsin...request for location?

dalmayshun

This summer my wife and I will be traveling to Wisconsin, near Green Bay for our 50th wedding celebration. I often hunt the Makoqueta formation north of Green Bay, and also a couple of quarry pits near Shawano and Gresham. After my trip to that area, we will be staying at my sisters for a few days (july 14-18) which is near Madison. I told her I would gladly visit her there, if she would allow me a day for some fossil hunting. But I don't know that area at all. I do know fossils have been found west of there. I am asking that someone point me in the right direction, or suggest a couple of spots. I don't mind traveling for a couple of hours to get at the location, so that would allow me to almost hit the Mississippi...So, does anyone know of anything available for a one day hunt from Madison. Thanks. 

• dalmayshun changed the title to Hunting in SW Wisconsin...request for location?

Just head SW of Madison on Rt 151. Most road cuts and exposed rock are fossiliferous. Is there anything in particular that you are looking for? Unlike Florida, you my want to have a rock hammer available to use.

• I found this Informative 1

20 minutes ago, dalmayshun said:

our 50th wedding celebration.

Congrats on the 50th!  :yay-smiley-1:

I know nothing of fossils in Wisconsin, but I'm sure others will point you the right direction.

Minnbuckeye is dead on. Many of the crossroads on 151 have cuts visible from 151. I have hunted several and found some nice hash plates and other pieces. There are new sites that were made within the past year from an oil pipeline, but I would avoid these sites. The fossil quality is poor due to the heavy dolomitic rock. You can try it for your self, but I figure your time is limited. If ya have questions just ask. Im out there all the time.

...I'm back.

Congratulations on your 50th anniversary! 

Wow! :yay-smiley-1:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks everyone, for the good wishes. And I'll be sure to take my hammer along, I'm used to using it since we have alot of limestone where i keep looking for the elusive abertella dengleri a gorgeous butterfly shaped sand dollar found in limestone beds in our local rivers... So far I've only found pieces, though my fossil buddy has found a couple of whole gorgeous specimens 6 inches across... It's the fossil i covet more than a large meg. Lol

Ok, i looked at a map, that is quite do-able for me... Ill try looking down a few crossroads, like "g" and "j". Etc. Thanks so much... And, i don't have a particular fossil I'm looking for... Just love to see what is where, and the variety in different locations