Septarian Gastropod

mikeymig

I found this "septarian gastropod" (Platyceras sp. Mississippian, Edwardsville Formation, Crawfordsville, Indiana, USA) at the MAPS show this past weekend. When I saw it I couldn't say no. It looks like a snail cone overstuffed with gypsum. I've found fossils like this before in the Silurian shales of NY but they weren't this large or nice. Post similar mineral exploding fossils if you want. 

Thanks

DSC05878.JPG

DSC05881.JPG

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

That looks really cool! Nice buy:dinothumb:

unfortunately, my only exploded fossils are the ones I’ve tried to prep:wacko:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice piece! Not often those expanded, geodized fossils are identifiable. Most times it's just a blob.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Is this really a gastropod?  Looks like I can see the beak of a polecopod?  Or is that the apex of a snail?  Really cool though.

RB

22 hours ago, RJB said:

Is this really a gastropod?  Looks like I can see the beak of a polecopod?  Or is that the apex of a snail?  Really cool though.

RB

Correct, that is the Apex of the shell. 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/