Prehistoric 'Sea Monster' May Be Largest That Ever Lived

Wow, what a big guy :trilosurprise:

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Congratulations, Paul! :yay-smiley-1:

Very interesting and a terrific find! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

thanks guys, much appreciated! 

That Chinese shastasaurid looks remarkably well preserved. The front limb bones have very wide spacing between elements. Do you have more info. please?

regards

Paul

Hi Darren,

No, I didn't know that, but Dean Lomax told me that Wolniewicz  had commented on twitter. We don't disagree with what he says but in the paper we only stated a probable affinity to Shastasauridae but this was tentative in the absence of any other evidence. Dean and I feel that the Bristol Channel material is most likely from a new genus but until more turns up we can't define one.

regards

Paul

Hi Paul, 

I totally understand your reasoning and now a wonderful debate is in full swing. It's nice to hear academics are scratching  heads in their chosen topics. I find that's the great thing about new discoveries, especially when the term 'probable' is used. It gives all those in the know something extra to think about. And something for amatuer collectors to present them with. 

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Well done, Sir!

This really changes the narrative for the late Triassic there. Methinks there's probably some corrective labeling to be made in the collections...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Congratulations, Paul.  :)  :fistbump:

Here's hoping you are able to find more of the creatures!  :popcorn:

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Topic moved to our Partners in Paleontology forum.  :)

@paulgdls A wonderful discovery and follow through, sir!

bowing.gif

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 4/10/2018 at 2:41 PM, paulgdls said:

thanks guys, much appreciated! 

That Chinese shastasaurid looks remarkably well preserved. The front limb bones have very wide spacing between elements. Do you have more info. please?

regards

Paul

I, unfortunately, do not have detailed info on this specimen. I will try to find out more. I am guessing the front paddle bones are either carved from matrix or composited. 

Wonderful find of yours, by the way!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

original post where @paulgdls found it?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Nice! Cool Article

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

• 1 month later...

I just find this absolutely fascinating. Curious to see what they learn as they uncover more about it. The size and build of that ichthy! I can't help but wonder if it would have been similar to a modern sperm whale as far as it's hunting preferences.

Archived