Good Spots in West Central PA?

Mudskipper22

I'm going to take a trip from Miami to Pennsylvania to see some family.  I was also considering to fossil hunt myself for something to do.  I've only hunted in the Peace River, however, and I don't have much experience of actual digging.  I'm trying to find some good spots that I can almost definitely find something interesting like a well preserved trilobite or something.  I'm also interested in places like Red Hill to find some teeth and bone, or places with diverse ferns and lycopods.  I only have a day to do it, so I probably wouldn't be too intrusive.  I'd probably be staying in Indiana or Dubois (which me and my mother could significantly raise the population) but I don't want to be too far east from there.  I just want to know some good spots and some tips to find the best fossils.  

thank you!

Some very old information from THIS WEBSITE.

"Marion Center(N3-B+O RR) Indiana PA Shales and limestones in B+O RR cut on E side US119 2.5km N of US119 and PA403 junction Pennsylvanian Brush Creek invertebrates-arthropoda-crustacea-ostracoda;;brachiopoda,bryozoa,echinoderms-crinoids(fragments);mollusks,(others);protists-forams. US119-PA403 junction is in Marion center.

Shelocta(N1)IndianaPA1 km N on old US422 just N of US422 in cliffs in Pennsylvanian Conemaugh Formation in limestones and shales. Mineral -WurtzitePennsylvanianConemaughinvertebrates-brachiopoda-Juresania;cnidaria-corals-rugosa-Lophophyllidium;;;mollusks-bivalvia,gastropoda-Shansiella,Worthenia

Shelocta(NW-US422)IndianaPA Shales and limestones on N side US422 800 meters W of US422 and PA156 junction Pennsylvanian Brush Creek invertebrates-arthropoda-crustacea-ostracoda, brachiopoda, bryozoa, echinoderms-crinoids(fragments);mollusks,(others);protists-forams

Clearfield Clearfield PA17cm Eurypterid in strip mine invertebrates-arthropoda-merostomata-eurypterida

Dubois (Highland St) Clearfield PA On RR tracks S of tunnel under S Highland Street Pennsylvanian Brush Creek Limestone  invertebrates-cnidaria-corals;mollusks-gastropodaP

Dubois (S3-US119) ClearfieldPA2.5 km S of Dubois line in barrow pit on US119 Pennsylvanian Brush Creek Limestone  invertebrates-cnidaria-corals;mollusks-gastropoda

Dubois (WSW6-PA119) ClearfieldPA On US119 in Jefferson County 6 km WSW of Dubois Pennsylvanian Brush Creek Limestone invertebrates-cnidaria-corals;mollusks-gastropoda

Penfield (NW7-PA153) Clearfield (Jefferson) PA  7 km NW on PA153 on Boone Mountain in borrow pit on SW in shales Mississippian invertebrates- brachiopoda, bryozoa,echinoderms-crinoids (columnals);mollusks -bivalvia- Cypricardinia, plants-lycopodiophyta, Lepidodendropsis, pteridophyta, Adiantites"

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me