Eagle Ford and Kamp Ranch Dallas, Texas trip

KimTexan

I am doing the jury duty thing today so I have a lot of time on my hands to make a trip report post.

This post isn’t rich in fossils despite visiting 3 different sites. It was something of a strike out for the day, with the exception of 2 pieces from the 3rd place we stopped at. One of the pieces was a true keeper for me though.

I was on call for my work this past week, including the weekend, which means I have to stay close to home. I had a couple really long days without sleep. One 27 hour and the other 24 hours. It wipes me out.

Thankfully I didn’t get called in Saturday night, because I had plans to go poking around a few spots with @Fruitbat aka Joe. He lives maybe 7 minutes away from where I do.

The day was on the cool side, in the low 50s, overcast and breezy, but reasonably pleasant.

The first place I wanted to check out was about 15 minute from my house. It was in the Austin Chalk, upper I think. I didn’t have high expectations of finding anything noteworthy, but I keep trying, because I’m surrounded by the upper Austin and upper Ozan, which have next to zilch from what I’ve on numerous attempts.

The area we went to is a new development that recently broke ground in Garland on the southwest corner of Shiloh and Buckingham roads. It is mostly black clay like material, but a bit of white chalk and light gray shale are exposed and I think limestone or marl was exposed during trench digging. There is also the Duck Creek waterway on the east side of the development.  We didn’t find much more than Inoceramus clam fragments in the development area. I did find an interesting looking clam about 1.5 inches wide imbedded in chalk. No clue what it is.

Since we didn’t find anything there we headed to check out the large creek. It seems the city channeled the creek to bury water or sewer lines in it. So it was down to the bedrock with a concrete strip running down the center. The banks were about 10-15 feet high in most areas. The East bank being layers of chalk and marl like stuff. The west side dirt and clay. When I got into the creek I couldn’t find my phone. I assumed I’d left it in my car. Later I realized I’d put it in my coat pocket and had it the whole time. I didn’t get any pics.

There was only one picture I wish I’d been able to take. In the creekbed we came across a circle that looked like a giant flat cinnamon roll about 2 feet wide. It didn’t look like any ammonite I’ve ever seen. Joe said it was an Inoceramus clam. I squatted down to have a closer look and sure enough the side was exposed revealing the tale tale pattern of Inoceramus shell edge. It isn’t the biggest clam I have found out hunting, but it was probably the most complete large one I’ve seen. I’m tempted to go back to take a pic since I drive by there most weekdays. There wasn’t much of interest otherwise.

Since we didn’t find anything of interest we headed south to Dallas to our 2nd spot. I’d seen an exposure off of 30 I wanted to check out. It was part of the Eagle Ford formation. We arrived and parked our vehicles on the edge of a large field and made our way walking towards a hill in the distance with an exposure visible.

There were huge piles of construction dirt and rock in the field. I have explored those before so I didn’t revisit them this time. Most notable were the very large septarian nodules with brown and while crystals. I’d been here before and collected a few pieces.

We walked through high grass and underbrush then headed downhill only to encounter a wash or small creek we couldn’t cross. The creek doesn’t show up on any map. 

We worked our way along through considerable underbrush between knee and waist high along the creek. Joe took a little rest while I explored the area looking for a crossing.  I found one a Joe soon followed. After crossing a couple of them I came to a dense hedge of Chinese privet.

If you’ve never encountered it you’re blessed. If you’re considering it for landscaping think twice. While it is pretty it is a very aggressive shrub that grown incredibly dense making areas impassible. It will take over a whole field and thin forest if left unattended and nothing else can grow there. I didn’t notice it until I came to it and realized there was no getting through or around it.

Here you can see a dense patch of it. It’s maybe 5-8 feet tall in most places.

F2ABAE25-8370-4235-A78D-70B95CD14C26.jpeg.352c12e03f0b1a4e05a5b8ca19748087.jpeg

We realized there was no way to make it to the outcropping from where we were. We walked back to our cars after maybe 30 minutes of trying to get to the outcrop. We would have to come at it from a different direction.

There were lots of spring flowers in bloom along the walk. I thought I’d share them with you. Per Joe this is a form of wild mustard.

AFEEFF15-F7DF-4CC3-9F8C-D3E371B1A459.jpeg.2e6420a0d3eb932ca1f1febdee933002.jpeg

This is actually the bud of my favorite wildflowers. It is a milk thistle. I don’t like the prickly part, but I think they’re beautiful, but that isn’t why I like them. I like them because I am fascinated by them. I have picked them many times and arranged them in a vase beautifully. I leave for a few hours or overnight and they have completely rearranged themselves! Not just a little either. Individual stems will move by an inch or more at times. I think it is chemotaxis or something. It isn’t phototropism, because it happens at night and the direction they move is not uniform or unidirectional. Can’t wait for them to be in bloom.

12CC4284-2921-4D91-9AB2-891CAAA8F4FF.jpeg.5510410342041d712200e954f6d6642b.jpeg

I don’t know what these are.

17B35BAD-BEB9-4D73-97AF-F638A0B80691.jpeg.c0e9a1f666a1d5942054a6b8c234b5dd.jpeg

I think these are 2 varieties of evening primrose.

7C541A18-FC2D-4ECC-BA5F-F469FD490F06.jpeg.16bc5c6ae499bf27795473b0f551f6f1.jpeg

BC2F2214-A1D2-438D-9CBB-3B90793C631A.jpeg.1f4a4d6c25fb662c142b88271af42713.jpeg

I think these are a form of verbena.7EFDCB9C-6D0E-4EB5-8B50-9CACBCCF7945.jpeg.8820a10b932a57551219529f8be99432.jpeg

We drove around the back side of a large warehouse and found a spot to park. We were able to access the exposure from there, but only because someone had bulldozed a path through the Chinese privet.

Much of it was the Eagle Ford gray flacks shale. I found the top valve of an oyster or possibly clam (I still need to clean it up). I also found a very weathered fragment of a medium size ammonite that was only identifiable because of sutures. Other than that the only thing of interest was more septarian nodules. This is one of the smaller ones I saw. You can’t see the septarian qualities on the exterior, but it’s definitely a septarian. It was very heavy or I’d have taken it home to open up. If they have a split in it like this one they usually are filled with crystals.

I also found quite a bit of small crystals laying around. Usually it’s calcite, but I’ve read the formation has abundant gypsum.

AB7CEE63-139A-4757-842B-8480EC516939.jpeg.00a55fa96d8572b288d58a0146703cef.jpeg

Nothing of real interest there other than septarian nodules so we moved on to look for our third location. 

We drove west on I-30 and then south on loop 12. The first spot didn’t have anywhere to park nearby. So we drove across the freeway to look at an exposure off of a parking lot in a low area. I think this is likely to be the Kamp Ranch formation, a subunit that underlies the top layer of the Eagle Ford about 75 feet under it near Arcadia Park.

This location was not very fossiliferous, but it did have yellow/orange thin plates largely consisting of conglomerates of shell fragments.

AE3F210C-4202-4CF3-B3FD-FB05191791B9.jpeg.3883407b03f1b02a6442a6a432fdbfbe.jpeg

It also had gray and black clay/shale with large septarian nodules. These are some of the fragments I picked up.

CF13482C-D325-4711-9FB4-65A5B66FF6E2.jpeg.2dac2a1122550ba66af79577d787051f.jpeg27030812-BCE1-4021-80A9-8B014207F08C.jpeg.fdf33997a192037010ba335edc28f764.jpeg

This is one, which was buried that I tried to extract but I wasn’t successful. It was too big and I didn’t feel like putting in the effort needed to extract it or break it up.

BA18C264-15B5-4EB7-BE9B-152CE119B039.jpeg.6168e296465dcc21be32330af4b37d8b.jpeg

I walked around picking up plates looking for anything of interest. 

I came to a wash area and found this plate. This is the find of my day. It is covered with small ammonite impressions. It’s the only hint of ammonite that I found. There are a number of impressions that are partially covered up. I think with a little prep work it could be a real beauty. I’ll have to practice on the back side to make sure it doesn’t leave white marks.

D717909F-9A75-4F2B-B3A6-FC6775E5C23A.jpeg.6bb37ca6b772774bae7310a887f89b32.jpeg

While I was off finding this Joe was off harassing this poor mama killdear bird nearby. He was trying to find out where the eggs were so we didn’t step on them. Turns out she was sitting on them. He said she was giving him the broken wing routine. She also spread her wings and tail trying to defend her eggs and nest. Her eggs are just behind her.

6D1798F2-ACD1-4AD5-8CF0-B56BE41D9C80.jpeg.28bd9484917a548478e7acae21c6c67b.jpeg

Joe found this little plate and gave it to me. It’s got a little shark tooth on it on the top left.

C0B9FF0F-E3F0-4C28-918C-45B5FE9DAE28.jpeg.9dc742dcead84d57d3e3f2471f1de653.jpeg

From there I had to leave to go home.

It was a relaxing day, except for fighting through the little jungle like underbrush and vegetation trying to cross the wash/creek and having to retrace our path because of the Chinese privet. But it was a nice day overall.

Oh, this is a closeup shot of part of the ammonite impression plate that I forgot to insert above.

FC902D76-0BE1-465F-9270-FDC6DB65B336.jpeg

Nice report, and some beautiful photos. 

Loved the flowers and the bird, not a type we have here so always interesting to see.

Glad you found at least a couple of nice fossils too. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Excellent report and great pictures! I really like the ammo plate and the sharktooth!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

This is very cool...

FC902D76-0BE1-465F-9270-FDC6DB65B336.jpeg.d3487c29b12a7f279d219366aa7aa3f3.jpeg.e1470f3ff4f3d9480274d6545de508c7.jpeg

...looks like both gracile and robust forms of Collignoniceras woollgari. Nice find.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Great report and some nice finds. 
Congratulations on that ammonite plate. 

Very cool.

Thanks for posting. Kim.  :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Thanks off taking is out on your trip.

Well we did not have to walk it.

Sounds like tough undergrowth.

Wonderful hash plates, no prep needed on the tooth (Cretolamna) I think.

The prioniclonus (Prionitropis) should prep nicely but that Camp Ranch matrix is some unforgiving stuff.

Best use some professional advice or have it prepped for you.

An airscribe is the best tool for the job.

An electric scribe won't give you the results you need. You would destroy several scribes and still not get it done well.

Even with an air scribe it would need further prep with abrasive air.

The deposit you guys were in has yielded a lot of "pearls" over the years.

Often found in these conglomerates and associated with Inoceramus remains.

That area sounds like a couple of areas I frequent.

Jess B

BTW, that material is where my wife found the "first found" Dallas County Texas regular echinoids known. (Phymasoma)

1 hour ago, PFOOLEY said:

This is very cool...

FC902D76-0BE1-465F-9270-FDC6DB65B336.jpeg.d3487c29b12a7f279d219366aa7aa3f3.jpeg.e1470f3ff4f3d9480274d6545de508c7.jpeg

...looks like both gracile and robust forms of Collignoniceras woollgari. Nice find.

Man you must know your ammonites! I’m impressed. Someone told me that Collignoniceras woollgari was something of an index fossil for the Kamp Ranch, but I didn’t ID any of these impressions yet. Thanks for the ID.

Must be nice to have places close by that don't require hours behind the wheel to get to. You take very nice photographs by the way.

It WAS a fun trip even though I didn't bring anything home.  KimTexan is a wonderful fossiling companion and her endurance (as evidenced by some of her other posts here on TFF) is incredible. I'm definitely getting too old to keep up with a youngster like her! (:D)

That Chinese Privet is absolutely impossible to penetrate with anything short of a very large bulldozer or a very small thermonuclear device.  Trying to use a machete to hack your way through it would be a workout worthy of a person in training for a marathon!  The killdeer (a form of plover) was entertaining.  I've seen them do their 'broken wing' act before and this little girl was persistent but she quickly switched over to the defense when I got too close to her eggs.  She let me approach to within a meter of her 'nest' and still showed no inclination to get out of my way.  No mother lion ever defended her cubs more bravely.

Anyway...it was a fun if relatively unproductive day.  I'm looking forward to my next chance to spend some time fossil-hunting with KimTexan.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

1 hour ago, bone2stone said:

The prioniclonus (Prionitropis) should prep nicely but that Camp Ranch matrix is some unforgiving stuff.

Best use some professional advice or have it prepped for you.

An airscribe is the best tool for the job.

An electric scribe won't give you the results you need. You would destroy several scribes and still not get it done well.

Even with an air scribe it would need further prep with abrasive air.

The deposit you guys were in has yielded a lot of "pearls" over the years.

Often found in these conglomerates and associated with Inoceramus remains.

That area sounds like a couple of areas I frequent.

Jess B

BTW, that material is where my wife found the "first found" Dallas County Texas regular echinoids known. (Phymasoma)

So, which is the prioniclonus? I have no clue. I don’t know what a Collignoniceras woollgari looks like either or the gracile either. However I do have a Texas ammonite reference book now, which should help with that.

Thanks for the prep info. I have no idea how much it would cost me to have it prepped out.

I doubt I can afford it at this point anyway. I’m going through a very ugly, costly and lengthy divorce and custody battle. I’ve been married to a narcissist for 20 years. I’m ready for peace.

That is one big reason why I fossil hunt so often. To find some peace and solace in nature and to keep my mind off of all the ugly stuff going on. I’m a peaceful, caring person. I desire peace for my husband too, but some people know how to find peace and live in it better than others.

Is it the Kamp Ranch that produces yields pearls and Phymasoma?   I’m intrigued by the formation after finding that ammonite impression plate and also reading about the variety of ammonites found in the Eagle Ford.

Do you know where more exposures of the Kamp are in the area? There were scattered fragments of it where I found this stuff, but that was it. Does it usually present in fragments or are there solid exposures?

@caldigger Thank you. I have liked photography since I was a child. When I was in college I was a photographer for the university newspaper and advancement department. I was also the photography editor of the yearbook one year before becoming the editor my last year there. Unfortunately all I have is my iPhone for a camera, but it takes pretty good pics. However it’s nothing like a professional camera. My baby brother (all grown up now) was a wedding photographer for a number of years. I loved his cameras. I had/have camera envy ever since.

@Fruitbat That is very kind of you to say. I laugh at the endurance part though. You haven’t seen me dragging my worn out tail back to my car at times. I remember reading @believerjoe‘s story of finding to mosasaur at the NSR. I think it went something like he got back to his truck and sat there in the rain leaning against the tire of his truck trying to recover. I have felt much like that a few times. I do push myself very hard. I get back to my car at times and just sit there for a few minutes so worn out I can hardly move. I’d never push anyone else that hard. I think for me it is testing my capacity and limits. You’d think I’d be very stiff and sore the next day, but I have found a cure for it and I’m rarely ever stiff and sore the next day.

One time I remember trying to hammer out an ammonite for close to 2 hours out of the Duck Creek Formation in Ft. Worth, I think I told the story on here. My arms felt like limp noodles. I could hardly hold them up to hold the steering wheel to drive home.

You may be right about the flower. I think it may be a form of stork’s bill, but I didn’t find any stork’s bill exactly like it. I still have my best wildflower reference book packed in a box. It wasn’t in my smaller reference book. I’m pretty sure it would be in there.

@Tidgy's Dad Thank you. I’m glad you liked them. I’ll post some blue bonnets right after this.

This is the infamous Texas bluebonnet. I like the composition on this shot with 3 of them staggered one behind the other, but it was quite accidental. I was only taking a pic of the one.

48F107D0-38D4-4C5F-A14B-33A70985F9BE.jpeg.0540a3aa33b76ecf553287aa2a3a7ab7.jpeg

I took these pics on my way home this evening after my 10.5 hour jury duty ordeal. So it was getting dark. I didn’t have to lighten or edit this pic at all. They were just that beautiful blue, white and kind of red. Our state flag colors.

This flower has to be a close runner up to the Texas Thistle as my favorite. However, it holds a much dearer place in my heart. It is the state flower of Texas. Texans are a bit crazy about their bluebonnets. It seems to almost hold the status of the state flag or something with some people. It is something some Texans defend with fierceness. It garners a lot of devotion. It’s hard to describe or rationalize why some of us have such a devotion and sense of loyalty to a flower, but that’s how it is.

I even designed a cookbook cover once and created my own font out of bluebonnets for the book cover lettering.

33FD93B0-AE66-4456-91E4-9FF4A2B14D43.jpeg.34d45a44997b0b5ee19ba71f069089d1.jpeg

These flowers often cover huge fields. It is a breathtaking and awesome sight to behold one of those fields. This is just a little patch.

F9CD662E-35E8-4477-8E4D-6447E5E8BB2A.jpeg.6f41998581020689d7854953bf509044.jpeg

This is my daughter, Gigi (short for Gisselle) sitting in the middle of the patch. She’s 13. She is in honors math and English this year. She’s also the yearbook editor of her middle school yearbook for about 1500 kids this year. I’m a proud mom. 

03087A8F-DD2F-42B5-A33C-CBA5A4B5ABD9.jpeg.17b07b349eba282d42770b24d3ada4de.jpeg

Well done to you and Gigi. :)

And those flowers are so beautiful..............:wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nice Collignoniceras woollgari; clean them don't prep them. They go by several names: http://fossilworks.org/bridge.pl?a=taxonInfo&taxon_no=144342  Look at "alternate  combinations."

Two forms based on sex; a larger "robust" form and a smaller "gracile" form. I am not sure what form is male; they are not always the larger sex.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Very nice adventure! Your writings are a pleasure to read! The plants are very cool. The concretions are as well. Sounds like you had a good companion with interesting knowledge of avian behavior. I have never experienced the broken wing diversion, but have experienced diversion behavior from birds. Beautiful bird, and brave. The first concretion looks like it was already cracked. It would be interesting to see what was inside. Ever since I broke open my first geod I have been interested in concretions. Thank you for sharing your adventures they are nice to vicariously experience!

5 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Nice Collignoniceras woollgari; clean them don't prep them. They go by several names: http://fossilworks.org/bridge.pl?a=taxonInfo&taxon_no=144342  Look at "alternate  combinations."

Two forms based on sex; a larger "robust" form and a smaller "gracile" form. I am not sure what form is male; they are not always the larger sex.

Kim,

Cleaning will only go so far, sacrificing a few of the lesser quality impressions and "working around them" there is a slim possibility of intact specimens internally.

But then....the "Camp Ranch" as I stated earlier is not very forgiving. I have found very few good specimens embedded in that material. High activity material when freshly deposited.

Most nice specimens, I have found, were found free of matrix some with the pearlescent exterior preserved.

Call it  and do with it what you wish, it is yours to do as you want.

If you were to take "Beltline South" to the area near Joe Pool lake there are still a few exposures all around the housing

area to the East after passing Camp Wisdom road in South Grand Prairie. [Also west of the Cedar Hill area]

I operated heavy equipment there years ago opening up vast areas of the (Eagleford) Camp Ranch, Arcadia Park etc and even took Dallas Paleo group there in the 80's to show them area where I found my avocado seed sized pearl! One member found one the size of the tip of your thumb still stuck to the inoceramus shell!

Fun and games while it lasted',  built up quite a collection of specimens from there. Housing pads and first cut road bed cuts. (Lots of ammonites, crabs and shark teeth)

Examine the stone under magnification and look for partial echinoids and what may look like small light brown seeds,  (Not all of the pearls I have found are round) 

Also, Kim it is so refreshing to read most of your posts. Not many take the time to smell the roses as you go through the motions of fossil finding.

The Blue Bonnets (Lupine) you posted it is a shame they do not last a little longer. 

I think the cacti "prickly pear" produce some extraordinarily photogenic pics as well but they are not in bloom just yet.
[Did not mention it before but the birdy is an outstanding example of motherhood, willing to stand her ground against overwhelmingly outsized "Monster" looking at her.]

Thanks again for taking us out with you. My days of exploring are fewer and fewer all the time.

(I feel for you and your little girl, issues of separation from your ex. not an easy thing to go through. My  own issues disappeared after divorce 40+ years ago)

Jess B.

11 hours ago, KimTexan said:

...I don’t know what a Collignoniceras woollgari looks like either or the gracile either...

Here is a specimen of Collignoniceras woollgari impressions from Sandoval County, NM...

c.woolgari3.thumb.jpg.dfe802d45aeefc96373e9f1b1efb8084.jpg

...this is the robust...

c.woollgari.thumb.jpg.d5f6db87c0ad713d937152188da02aed.jpg

...and this is the gracile...

c.woollgari2.thumb.jpg.5e5a354d7b631bc6a4e2ae260372329d.jpg

...and this is must have literature...

A REVISION OF THE TURONIAN MEMBERS OF THE AMMONITE SUBFAMILY COLLIGNONICERATINAE FROM THE UNITED STATES WESTERN INTERIOR AND GULF COAST

... :).

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

On 4/10/2018 at 6:00 PM, KimTexan said:

I am doing the jury duty thing today so I have a lot of time on my hands to make a trip report post.

This post isn’t rich in fossils despite visiting 3 different sites. It was something of a strike out for the day, with the exception of 2 pieces from the 3rd place we stopped at. One of the pieces was a true keeper for me though..

Wow! I especially like the ammonites! Those nodules with the calcite crystals look just like the stuff that I've found at the plant over in Midlothian. Good report! 

On 4/10/2018 at 11:22 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

They are impressions, not the actual ammonite. I believe that may go for the whole plate, but there could be some ammonites in the matrix.

@PFOOLEY thank you for the ID help. Nice example.

@bone2stone Thank you for more insight on prep. Also, thank you very much for the formation site exposure info!! At least I know where to look now.

Thank you for the compliments on my posts and pics.

Kim as always, Great Trip Report and pics. Really love the flowers and the ammonite plate and especially the nice piece the @Fruitbat , Joe, gave you.

21 hours ago, PFOOLEY said:

Here is a specimen of Collignoniceras woollgari impressions from Sandoval County, NM...

c.woolgari3.thumb.jpg.dfe802d45aeefc96373e9f1b1efb8084.jpg     ...this is the robust...  c.woollgari.thumb.jpg.d5f6db87c0ad713d937152188da02aed.jpg   ...and this is the gracile...    c.woollgari2.thumb.jpg.5e5a354d7b631bc6a4e2ae260372329d.jpg

...and this is must have literature...

A REVISION OF THE TURONIAN MEMBERS OF THE AMMONITE SUBFAMILY COLLIGNONICERATINAE FROM THE UNITED STATES WESTERN INTERIOR AND GULF COAST

... :).

Beautiful impressions!

Even though you didn't find much, the scenery alone must have made one heck of a trip! photos bring it to life. Great job! :dinothumb:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Archived