Nobodys55

Boy! I could really have some fun with this but I'll be nice for now as I'm new, new, & more new to the world of fossils.

Once again, my name's Tracy & as I mentioned in previous post, I joined so as to research a recent project I've taken on. 

A friend of mine recently expressed that he was going to "get rid of" his Mastodon fossils. He didn't want them in his house anymore so he was going to throw them out! Shocked, to say the least, I asked him if he'd hang on to them long enough to give me a chance to do something with them. 

At this point I started looking for the best ways to go about getting them ready to auction, which auction & how best to make sure they made it to their destination intact.

Now, there's the first group of questions I'm seeking advice on.

1.What auction house has the clientele that would appreciate this type of fossils.

2. What preparation should be done to them to solidify the outer portions which seem very fragile at this point?

3. How should they be shipped & in what?

Below are a few pictures.

#1 & 2 are of one tooth. #3 & 4 another. I'm over my limit in file size so I'll be posting somewhere with more pictures, more questions, etc.

Any input would be highly appreciated. In next entry I'll tell you a little more about them. They've got a good story. Think I'll pop on over to i.d. list to post part 3 of my adventure.

See me,

Tracy

IMG_20180313_150255.jpg

IMG_20180313_181814.jpg

IMG_20180313_150953.jpg

IMG_20180313_150914.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks something doesn't look quite right with these "teeth"?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Not a clue to what this is?  Looks like lots of calcite?  Not sure if its even a fossil at all?  Did it come from a cave?  Interestiing, but only that at this point. 

RB

After a few days I started thinking the same kind of thing. Most of the teeth that I saw were a lot different. By the way, I was told that they were molars. But the firts two pics I'm thinking might be an inscisor?. I have to take off for a minute. But I have done a little bit to the smaller piece & have better pics up close.

1 hour ago, Nobodys55 said:

I'm over my limit in file size so I'll be posting somewhere with more pictures, more questions, etc.

If You refresh the page You can add more pictures in the replies.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

First of all...those are NOT mastodon (Mammut) teeth...they are mammoth (Mammuthus) teeth.  If the other bones were associated with those teeth then they are from a mammoth as well.  Where (basically) were these found?

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Indeed (partial) Mammoth molars, not in the best of shape.. The first seems to be partly rooted into a piece of the jaw/skull. 

Also wondering where these came from. Have seen alot of mammoth teeth, but these seem to be very light-colored!

1. Mammoth molars are not extremely rare, but it depends on the locality. In bad shape it might be too low-level for established auction houses.

Don't have any experience selling fossils, but might just test the waters on the big online auction site (you know) or something to get an idea on the prices?

2. These molars can be a pain in the *** to keep from falling apart. What we normally do here - with molars from the North Sea - is after drying, treat them with a mixture of water/white glue (woodglue?).

Don't do dunking the entire piece into a bath of the mixture though: the fossil might completely fall apart. Brush it on. First brush a little bit on a small part and let it dry to see how it holds up!

3. No experience with shipping, but i have seen alot break in the mail because they can be so fragile. So better pack them up good :)

They were found in Nebraska in the early 70's. I'm getting ready to post more pictures, specifically the smaller tooth after I cleaned it & used a solution of acetone & Duco cement to stabilize it's pieces. (See part 4 in the Fossil Preparation area). 

I appreciate your input & in so far tend to agree with you. Take a look at the pictures mentioned above. There's others that I'll include and I'd be interested in your thoughts on preparation.

Archived