NSR: advice and anyone want to join?

hashemdbouk

Hi all!

I'm here again asking for advice!

2018 is my year for fossil trips (at least the year my wife is allowing me to go all out!) and exploring new places, and one place i have never been to (and REALLY want to go to) is the North Sulfur River. I am traveling from NY to the DFW area from June 11-14, and was hoping to make a trip over to the NSR either the 12th or the 13th of June. Can anyone give me advice? Also, I've read a bit and i've heard of snakes and other possible complications when fossil hunting there, and would rather not be there solo.... so, is anyone interested in tagging along? You'll have my eternal gratitude (and for something more tangible, i'm happy to buy us breakfast and lunch). 

Thanks in advance for any advice and help, all appreciated :)

Sage advice...especially the part about bringing plenty of water!  It will probably be pretty hot by mid-June (this IS Texas, you know) and shade can be pretty scarce when you're walking the river bed.  Snakes shouldn't be a problem as long as you stay away from the ones you see (if you actually see any).  Most of the snakes I've encountered there are non-poisonous but I've seen some pictures posted here on TFF of a 'real' water moccasin (or cottonmouth or whatever you choose to call it) which can deliver a VERY nasty and potentially lethal bite!  Other potential hazards like wild pigs are definitely there but I've never actually seen one...just lots of tracks in the mud.  The mud, by the way, can be deceptively deep in places.  The picture that Benjaminpb posted is a pretty good representation but it can get a lot deeper than THAT!  I once sank in up to my waist and had to be hauled out by a couple of friends with a rope.

As for buying 'lunch'...you do need to know that restaurants are few and far between out along the river.  I generally just stuff some edible, non-perishable odds-and-ends like trail mix, nuts and beef jerky in one of my pockets and nibble while I'm walking.  Oh...by the way...take along adequate toilet paper just in case.  There aren't any restrooms out there either!

-Joe

• I found this Informative 2

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Bring an extra long pole to probe the mud to see if it's going to support you; I have used a pool cue with a few inches of the tip cut off.

Pay attention to the weather reports. Heavy rain can flood the channel quickly.

Get there at sunrise; it is hot and popular.

Bring a pair of ankle length or higher boots that can get wet. I use fishing boots with Vibram tread from Cabelas/Bass Pro.

Carefull of the small side creeks; some landowners try to run you out.

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Fruitbat,

Both my brother and I probably would have sunk up to our waists if I hadn't watched one of those survival shows on tv a few years back.

You're basically supposed to lay down as flat as u can to distribute your weight more evenly.

That's how I got the boots out of the mud.

I got on flat on my stomach and sort of crawled/scooted across. Then I started digging with my hands. It wouldn't have been that bad if it wasn't about 35 degrees out. After a few minutes my hands went numb....so it worked out for the best.

Peat,

Thank's for laughing at my pain ;-)

The other advice I'd like to offer is not to go if the river is dry. When there's no water then it's almost impossible to find anything because everything is covered in dry mud.

It makes it almost impossible to differentiate between anything. Just keep an eye on the weather and u can even google the river level.

Actually...even when the river is mostly dry (there is almost always SOME water in it...even if just small pools), the gravel beds can be productive for things like shark teeth, worm tubes and bits of pleistocene mammal enamel if you're willing to take your time and brave the heat.  I usually just find a likely-looking gravel bed, sit on my butt and scoot along inch-by-inch to avoid missing TOO much.  Those small pools and rivulets come in awfully handy for a quick dip when it gets too hot!  Just don't try to drink any of the river water.  There's no telling WHAT sorts of agricultural chemicals and other types of waste have found their way into it.

Oh...a couple of other things I heartily recommend are a good hat (not a sun visor) and some sunscreen if you're going out there on a sunny day.  Like I said...shade is at a premium.

-Joe

Fruitbat's PDF Library

3 hours ago, Benjaminpb said:

Peat,

Thank's for laughing at my pain ;-)

I laugh because I've "been there, done that":)

I had the same thing happen to a novice fossil hunter friend of mine that I dragged out to the NSR on a side trip while going to the Heart of Dallas Bowl.  He had to dig for his shoes.  He's a naval engineer and was not amused :rofl:

I also do a lot of work in peat bogs where you can poke through the floating mat and have it "seal up" above you.  I've always joked with other field biologists to ALWAYS WEAR A HAT so we can see where you went down!

:hearty-laugh:

I literally laughed out loud for a while when I saw your pic of those boots. Still chuckling as I write (laughing with, not at):)

I shared the pic with my buddy and asked him if it brought back any "good memories"

I'm schedule off those days so may be able to help. PM me closer to time and if nothing else I'll give you directions to a good area on NSR based on the water level at the time. 

16 hours ago, JarrodB said:

I'm schedule off those days so may be able to help. PM me closer to time and if nothing else I'll give you directions to a good area on NSR based on the water level at the time. 

Thanks @JarrodB, I will definitely reach out!

and thanks everyone else, what I gather is it’s muddy (putting it mildly) and that preferably, I should go with someone.

anyone have any other recommendations for possibly easier spots to visit in DFW area/surroundings? 

I don't consider the NSR difficult, its just a matter of timing. Can give me a heads up when you come through and I may be able to swing a day up there. Pending the rain schedule.

No...the NSR really isn't what I would call difficult as long as you're prepared.  I never hesitated in taking my own daughter there...even when she was only about ten years old.  She actually LIKED the mud!

-Joe

Fruitbat's PDF Library

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 10:42 AM, -AnThOnY- said:

I don't consider the NSR difficult, its just a matter of timing. Can give me a heads up when you come through and I may be able to swing a day up there. Pending the rain schedule.

Thanks Anthony! I will get in touch with you and @JarrodB closer to my trip in June. Thanks again to both for offering to help and come out :)

• I found this Informative 1