Is this a fossil?

Star nosed mole

I found this while out for a hike, it was in the eroded runoff ditches on the trail. It has a symmetry that seems biological to me, but that could be wishful thinking. What do you think? 

Thanks 

762769C4-3B8F-4653-8120-F2171D48F272.jpeg

A61E5262-31F6-408F-96E8-74D98374AF36.jpeg

This looks geological, to me. :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

We need a well-lit detailed photo of the end of the piece. Scattered wood exists here and there in the Bay Area. Where did you find it so I can tell from what formation it might have come from.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Can we see it how it looks in the broken end ?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It certainly is an eye-catching object, with a form, luster, and hint of structure that is suggestive of organic origin.
I'd have picked it up for sure, but I can't match its features with anything plant or animal. This suggests that it is geologic.

Hardness and streak tests might resolve its composition.

• I found this Informative 4

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

7 hours ago, Auspex said:

It certainly is an eye-catching object, with a form, luster, and hint of structure that is suggestive of organic origin.
I'd have picked it up for sure, but I can't match its features with anything plant or animal. This suggests that it is geologic.

Hardness and streak tests might resolve its composition.

Yes, please try to scratch it wih a steel knife, what happens?

Does it bubble with vinegar?

It has some transparency to it, it can not be excluded, that it is a highly mineralized organic something, but a definitive proof would be very difficult. So lets apply Occam´s razor - its geologic.

Franz Bernhard

90% sure it's geological. Neat rock! :)

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

On 4/10/2018 at 5:47 PM, Fossildude19 said:

This looks geological, to me. :unsure: 

On 4/11/2018 at 1:58 AM, Vieira said:

Looks geological to me too.

On 4/11/2018 at 2:43 AM, Auspex said:

This suggests that it is geologic.

21 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

So lets apply Occam´s razor - its geologic.

7 hours ago, bone2stone said:

Yeah geologic.

4 hours ago, Darko said:

Looks geologic tho.

24 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

90% sure it's geological. Neat rock! :)

Please do not take offence to this, but isn't a fossil a rock and therefor "geologic"?:headscratch:

I was taught that paleontology was a specialty within the study of geology and fossils were created through geological processes from biological remains or actions.

Kind regards,

Onyt

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

23 minutes ago, ynot said:

Please do not take offence to this, but isn't a fossil a rock and therefor "geologic"?:headscratch:

I was taught that paleontology was a specialty within the study of geology and fossils were created through geological processes from biological remains or actions.

Kind regards,

Onyt

You are correct, of course: with the possible exception of the likes of mummies and bog-people, fossils are by definition the products of geologic processes.
My use of the term (better said "of geologic origin") is to differentiate it from "of biologic origin".

• I found this Informative 3

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!