Geo2021

Not quite sure what is going on here. In my class we were handed a box of fossils and this was in it. My theory is that its the body of a nautilus. Let me know what your thoughts are.

nautiloid.jpg

Could you add a few pictures from different angles?

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

I'm not really seeing how this could be nautiloid. Perhaps something more in the realm of gastropod.

There are 2 problems trying to identify this object.

1 No size reference.

2 lack of additional views.

Anything offered as an id would be a wild guess.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I would think that the slim chance of soft tissue being preserved as a fossil would be greatly diminished by the absence of a supporting shell so the body of a nautilus is very unlikely. Was this presented as something that is supposed to be a fossil and you were asked to identify it? Was it hard, mineralized, heavy? Did any broken surfaces present any texture besides what we see? Was there any indication of the age or where it was found? These are the things we use to help identify fossils and nothing obvious comes to mind from what we can see.

I see. I am very much an amateur (freshman geology student). I will take that into consideration the next time I post.

14 minutes ago, Geo2021 said:

I see. I am very much an amateur (freshman geology student). I will take that into consideration the next time I post.

By the way-- Welcome to TFF!:D

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It looks like part of Aturia nautiloid. You can see the siphuncle and the two lobes in your photo. I’ll add some photos of similar ones later.

Here's a similar view from "Upper Cretaceous and Early Tertiary Nautiloids from Western Australia" plus a comparison view with Geo2021's photo.

aturia.JPG

aturia3.jpg

40 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Here's a similar view from "Upper Cretaceous and Early Tertiary Nautiloids from Western Australia" plus a comparison view with Geo2021's photo.

Excellent catch! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Either what Al Dente said or an Alien's skull cap.

The truth is out there...I'll let you decide.

am with Al. Don't see how it could be anything else. Even has some of the original nacreous shell material.

Archived