Hypselosaurus Egg?

Seguidora-de-Isis

Hello good evening to all A great friend of mine I've known for many years has this egg in her collection. Unfortunately I only have this photo, but even so, I believe that this photo is sufficient, and it is quite enlightening:

image.png.86c6c875a4ab1947e3b71ddeda106558.png

image.png.7e493d718f1becb831f9ecd8e8776806.png

In my opinion is a compound, which used real shells. What do you think?

Supposedly, this should be an egg of Hypselosaurus discovered in France...

@-Andy- @HamptonsDoc @Troodon

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

I'm no eggspert on these matters but i say it's a mosaic  :(

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

French eggs are typically found with the shell material fragmented some remain in the shape of an egg others just loose shell.  Matrix color is correct.    One possibility is that they tried to assemble the loose material into the shape of an egg and not leave it as found.  It does not look natural.  

Couple of examples of naturally found eggs..

5acec594abb98_Megaloolithusegg1D211.jpg.88edf230678986b7ec5a261a3a925df6.jpg

1920_hypselosaurusegg.thumb.jpg.b04c4ab32c73248625926d9c3242ae76.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Sheesh, I stalk the internet market for new fossils, and boy-oh-boy have I seen loads of scrambled eggs (as I call them).

I have to go with the opinion that the egg shape is too perfect in shape in order for those egg shell fragments to be disarranged so sparsely. If the pieces were more together, it would mean the egg itself had stayed together, but the egg does seem a bit frankenstiened to me. It could be a mold off of an ostritch / real dino egg, and just a few composite egg pieces plastered on. 

I read the methods scammers use to make their fake fossils to identify exactly what parts of a fossil are fake and which are not. Here's an article:
https://www.paleodirect.com/fake-chinese-fossils-fossil-forgery-from-china/

Rather basic stuff, really.:doh!:

All in all, I'd have to pass on this one.

P.S.- if you could please provide more photos from different angles, it would help! :) 

• I found this Informative 2

This particular egg I would say is a mosaic, and not worth getting, unfortunately for your friend.

As @Troodon said, it is common for Hypselosaurus eggs to be found disassembled, made of dozens of loose eggshells. But they often do not have the shape of an egg, unlike the example you showed.

• I found this Informative 3

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

amplexougraitemureuydgesllifernakristlanthc.jpg

BTW: I think most "Hypselosaurus" eggs are not that.

It's a bit of parataxonomical abuse,associated body fossils not having been found,I think

11 hours ago, -Andy- said:

This particular egg I would say is a mosaic, and not worth getting, unfortunately for your friend.

As @Troodon said, it is common for Hypselosaurus eggs to be found disassembled, made of dozens of loose eggshells. But they often do not have the shape of an egg, unlike the example you showed.

This egg might be a mosaic (I am not sure), but in the museum near Aix-en-Provence (the place where the eggs are found) I saw a whole series of eggs in which the eggshell was broken into small pieces, but the egg itself had more or less the original shape (round).

this is one of mine:

Ch1216a Oolithes non det Kreide CN 251563280702 Ch1216a.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

May be real shell (need better images) and may be real matrix even from Aix-en-Provence but the shape is too perfect for any French eggs I've seen.  Troodon posted some nice eggsamples of whats typically found in France.  These eggs are difficult to come by. I've only seen 2 or 3 for sale over the past few years.

• 2 months later...
On 4/11/2018 at 8:14 PM, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Hello good evening to all A great friend of mine I've known for many years has this egg in her collection. Unfortunately I only have this photo, but even so, I believe that this photo is sufficient, and it is quite enlightening:

image.png.86c6c875a4ab1947e3b71ddeda106558.png

image.png.7e493d718f1becb831f9ecd8e8776806.png

In my opinion is a compound, which used real shells. What do you think?

Supposedly, this should be an egg of Hypselosaurus discovered in France...

@-Andy- @HamptonsDoc @Troodon

I know this is an older thread but wanted to add my comments. That is almost certainly a fake egg, the reasons already listed are sound. I would additionally say that the pieces do not match across cracks so while the eggshell could be real the egg is not.  Look closely at the few discernable areas of surface ornamentation and they do not continue across any crack as would be expected.  

On 4/11/2018 at 9:33 PM, doushantuo said:

BTW: I think most "Hypselosaurus" eggs are not that.

It's a bit of parataxonomical abuse,associated body fossils not having been found,I think

You are correct, without embryonic remains within an egg it is near impossible to scientifically link an egg or eggshell type to the animal who laid it. Megaloolithus is the egg type often listed as Hypselosaurus eggs, and while that may be accurate, it is not yet supported by any findings. Megaloolithus does likely come from a Sauropod and perhaps even a Titanosaur but without further findings, there is no way to conclusively state anything further. 

• I found this Informative 4

32 minutes ago, CBchiefski said:

I know this is an older thread but wanted to add my comments. That is almost certainly a fake egg, the reasons already listed are sound. I would additionally say that the pieces do not match across cracks so while the eggshell could be real the egg is not.  Look closely at the few discernable areas of surface ornamentation and they do not continue across any crack as would be expected.  

You are correct, without embryonic remains within an egg it is near impossible to scientifically link an egg or eggshell type to the animal who laid it. Megaloolithus is the egg type often listed as Hypselosaurus eggs, and while that may be accurate, it is not yet supported by any findings. Megaloolithus does likely come from a Sauropod and perhaps even a Titanosaur but without further findings, there is no way to conclusively state anything further. 

Thank you

The post is old, but the subject is always current and is in everyone's interest. Thank you, my friend @CBchiefski.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

More than happy to help, if I have the time I will try to gather a compressive overview of eggs, what to look for, which ootaxon is which along with pictures for each. Not saying that will happen but am going to see if I can get around to it. Be a nice place to point those with questions as it were.