what could this be?

Jazfossilator

As soon as I saw this I thought fossil poo but that could just be the way it's worn, any clues?

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

10 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Iron nodule, I think, maybe haematite. 

I'll have to test if it's metallic. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 hour ago, Jazfossilator said:

As soon as I saw this I thought fossil poo but that could just be the way it's worn, any clues?

Do not see any fossil diagnostics here. 2nd Tidgey on Iron.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

I think pseudocoprolite (concretion). If you or someone you know has cats, those can be pretty fun if you leave it somewhere random (pillow, couch cushion, bathroom rug, etc.) :D

EDIT: I don't know the formations in your area. I have seen coprolites from the Hell Creek Formation in Montana and the Melbourne Bone Bed in Florida that have very iron-rich coprolites that somewhat resemble what you have. Those stick if you touch them to the tip of your tongue. Hematite and siderite concretions will not.

It isn't hematite I did the streak test and on all materials it left no trace, and This was found on myrtle beach South Carolina in case I left that out 

41 minutes ago, Jazfossilator said:

It isn't hematite I did the streak test and on all materials it left no trace, and This was found on myrtle beach South Carolina in case I left that out 

The streak test only works on unglazed porcelain.

If Your piece does not leave a streak on unglazed porcelain then it is an iron rich chert.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived