Kamp Ranch formation fossil ID Dallas, TX

KimTexan

I was cleaning some matrix I got from the Kamp Ranch formation in Dallas last weekend and found this tiny thing in the matrix. I’m wondering if anyone can tell me what it may be without it being fully exposed.

The picture quality is not that great. I sure tried to get better pics, but wasn’t able to.

It is 5 mm wide at most. So it is difficult to get a good close up pic of it.

It’s 4 sided pyramid shape with a peak in the middle that almost looks like it has a groove down the middle of the peak. 

It was in a loose fragment of matrix I pried off a slab. Some of the surface of the item remained in the negative half of this. That is where you see the lighter color on the top and sides.

This is a pic of it when wet. Top looking down view.

FB213EAF-B5C7-4838-834A-58A42C73FB39.thumb.jpeg.15229e85998558aaa393782f43f86785.jpeg

Top down view again while dry.

1B64F259-28CA-4B34-9978-50678111E5AE.thumb.jpeg.1ea4ad0b8ec92ff0d18aa1d96d007813.jpeg

Side view from one end.

6E8EC38F-F1DF-46C0-A269-0B736DD68B84.thumb.jpeg.fd7b524e21f8a9923fb7249b70a2992f.jpeg

Side view from the other end.

FE59E6CB-21EE-474E-8E0C-95F34C807A0A.thumb.jpeg.1817cb95978a25b410208e95c59a8099.jpeg

Maybe it’s a funky shaped pebble, but I don’t think so. All the other stuff in the matrix looks like shells or shell fragments along with shell and ammonite impressions and some fragments.

Its a fish vertebra in cross-section.  You will find many like that within that formation. 

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Cool! Thanks! I was thinking it looked a bit fishy, but didn’t know what part. I wouldn’t have come up with vertebra though. 

I’m impressed you can tell. It’s so tiny and pics are poor quality.

Thanks @ynot and @JohnJ.

2 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

I’m impressed you can tell. It’s so tiny and pics are poor quality.

I see a whole bunch in the micro matrix I search. They have a distinctive "hourglass" cross section.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Keep it up and you will find that pearl.

They do not look much like a pearl.

Mine look vaguely like a seed of some sort.

Under magnification the have a octagonal crystallization appearance to the surface.

If given the opportunity the book by Chuck Finsleys (RIP) book on Texas fossils (Field Guide to Texas Fossils)

A prize pearl specimen "A Double on matrix" Is shown in it. Bob Price found it back in the 80's "RIP"

It was found in the Camp Ranch material.

I sure hope you find one!

Jess B