Turritella fossils

Jazfossilator

Love these little guys, they are a distinctly different color than the rest of the pitch black fossils I generally find at myrtle beach, and the crystal like lines are dazzling to me. I believe they are in the turritella family but any info is always welcome:)

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

Yup, Turritella fossils. These are called Steinkerns, or internal molds. I’m not sure the exact age of Myrtle beach fossils (I think they have all been washed there) so I can’t tell you the age or species. I always think they are cool to find, nature is quite elegant.

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Very true friend, the best art is natural, thanks for the added info

6 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yup, Turritella fossils. These are called Steinkerns, or internal molds. I’m not sure the exact age of Myrtle beach fossils (I think they have all been washed there) so I can’t tell you the age or species. I always think they are cool to find, nature is quite elegant.