HoppeHunting

Westmoreland State Park and Stratford Hall 03/28/18

HoppeHunting

The Hop 5:

1: Isurus retroflexus: A huge mako. By far my largest tooth yet, with a 2” slant height. Smooth cutting edge and cloudy colors on the crown.

2: Carcharodon hastalis: Found by my dad. His best tooth from the trip. Absolutely pristine condition and beautiful colors. Very tiny but visible cusps near the root.

3: Hemipristis serra: A small but pretty Hemi. Not in perfect condition, but the colors and lines on the crown make it look quite cool.

4: Carcharodon hastalis: This White Shark tooth...is a white shark tooth! Very small and worn down, but super cool white/cream color. But clearly not modern.

5: Negaprion eurybathrodono: This is my largest Lemon yet, and it’s absolutely stunning. Very nice colors and a sharp tip, which is atypical of a Lemon.

IMG_6553.JPG

IMG_6554.JPG

IMG_6555.JPG

IMG_6556.JPG

IMG_6557.JPG

Tidgy's Dad

Splendid report.

Splendid photos.

Splendid finds. 

You had a jolly good day! :)

Thanks for sharing. 

WhodamanHD

Nice finds! Glad you had a nice beach day, and that it yielded some nice fossils!

ynot

Wonderful trip report!

Congratulations on the monster tooth!

caldigger

Major scorage baby!

I wish I could have places like that here. 

Darktooth

Great score!

HoppeHunting
32 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

This tooth looks more like Anotodus retroflexus a.k.a. Isurus retroflexus.  Major shark researchers like Herman and Cappetta now consider retroflexus to be a giant Alopiidae, so this species is now considered a giant thresher instead of a mako.  This has not been embraced by the masses of collectors yet.

I had a feeling it wasn't actually desori. Of the large teeth found in Miocene exposures, that was the species it seemed to resemble most, but it certainly seemed atypical. I believe your identification is correct. Because this is my largest tooth, and a nice one at that, I plan on framing it. Do you suggest I label it as Anotodus or Isurus? Thanks!

MarcoSr
5 hours ago, HoppeHunting said:

I had a feeling it wasn't actually desori. Of the large teeth found in Miocene exposures, that was the species it seemed to resemble most, but it certainly seemed atypical. I believe your identification is correct. Because this is my largest tooth, and a nice one at that, I plan on framing it. Do you suggest I label it as Anotodus or Isurus? Thanks!

I agree with Herman and Cappetta, so I would label it " Anotodus retroflexus".  If you aren't sure, you can label it  " Anotodus retroflexus a.k.a. Isurus retroflexus" or keep it as "Isurus retroflexus" if you don't feel the tooth is a giant Alopiidae.  This is an example of why I don't label anything in my collection other than with the time period and site information.  I have seen just too many name changes over the 45 years that I've collected shark teeth.  I got tired of changing labels and I know what everything is.

Marco Sr.

MeargleSchmeargl

Awesome makos and hemis! Love the report! :meg:

goatinformationist

Wonderful day at the beach finding teeth story.  Keep 'em coming.

WhodamanHD
6 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

if you don't feel the tooth is a giant Alopiidae.

Woah, wait, what? I missed this! Retroflexus may be a thresher!?! 

MarcoSr
10 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Woah, wait, what? I missed this! Retroflexus may be a thresher!?! 

Herman has been saying for years that retroflexus is a thresher.  Cappetta originally disagreed.  However this is what Cappetta said in 2012 and a plate showing Anotodus retroflexus teeth:

5ad1e569cc92b_AnotodusCappetta2012a.jpg.dd1f6c6cdcafe5749ec968926660862e.jpg

5ad1e762ba603_AnotodusCappetta2012b.thumb.jpg.d02d4f369078f1729ecdb1410f25ef30.jpg

Marco Sr.

WhodamanHD
1 minute ago, MarcoSr said:

Herman has been saying for years that retroflexus is a thresher.  Cappetta originally disagreed.  However this is what Cappetta said in 2012 and a plate showing Anotodus retroflexus teeth:

Thanks for that, I can certainly see the resemblance! You learn something new everyday.

I_gotta_rock

Nice pictures and report!  You've been really busy on the Potomac lately! Can't wait to see your report from this weekend. Good meeting you! 

Happy hunting.