Westmoreland State Park and Stratford Hall 03/28/18

HoppeHunting

What a trip!

I finally had the opportunity to visit the renowned Westmoreland State Park in Montross, VA. I had heard mixed feelings about the site online, with some claiming it was far too over-picked and others dubbing it reliable and productive. I decided the best way to find out the truth was to go there myself! My dad and I hit the road early to get there before sunrise. It was about a 2 hour drive. We arrived and expected to have to pay a fee to get in, but it appeared that no one was being charged. I guess there is only a fee during the summer months. We hiked down the steep trail to Fossil Beach to discover that a few had beaten us to the first spot. They, however, had only come for a short visit and were heading out just as we arrived.

It was low tide, but the water was still high up the beach. My dad and I spent the first hour or so walking along the river in the water, which I typically don't do. But I was finding some great teeth! The water was relatively calm and very clear so I could see everything in the sand with ease. My dad went further down the beach while I kept a steady pace and picked up anything I could spot. After about half an hour spent in the water, I looked down a little deeper and saw a large tooth sitting on top of the sand, facing towards me. My heart skipped a beat and my first thought was "Megalodon", but once I picked it up I realized it couldn't be so. It was a very large Mako, rather. It's about 2 inches in slant height, and in great condition. Undoubtedly the largest tooth I've found in my fossil hunting career. After finding something so incredible, it seemed that the rest of the day was underwhelming in comparison. But I did manage some other nice finds. More people showed up at the beach as the sun rose and the air began to warm up. When someone came to me and asked if I was having any luck, I was more than happy to show them the huge tooth I had found. Many thought it was amazing. I also had the opportunity to explain the world of fossil hunting to an elderly couple who showed up and had no idea what everyone was looking for. I had a nice conversation with them and answered their many questions, then gave them a few teeth and got back to work. This is not the first time someone has come to me asking what exactly I'm doing pacing up and down the beach. I absolutely love to inform them when they ask.

I eventually made it all the way to the border of the beach where the cliffs pick back up, where I picked up a cliff fall and carried it to a safe distance from the cliffs. I used my rock hammer to pick away slowly at the fall, but came away with nothing. The tide was getting really high and the beach began to disappear. I had to cross the stream that separates the beaches before it got too high, otherwise I would have been stranded. My dad and I decided it would be best to call it a day at Westmoreland and go grab some lunch nearby, but we weren't done hunting yet.

Right down the road from Westmoreland State Park is Stratford Hall Plantation, the birthplace and childhood home of General Robert E. Lee. I have been to this site before actually, for one of my first fossil hunting trips ever. I convinced my dad that it would be worth it to go give Stratford a shot once we finished our lunches. We made the short drive and paid the entry fee then drove down to the beach for a few last hours of hunting. We were finding teeth in larger quantities than at Westmoreland, but nothing too large. It is interesting to see the varying frequencies of finds between the two sites. For example, at Westmoreland I only found two ray plates, while at Stratford I found nearly 30 of them, some large, and in less time spent hunting. Instead of beach combing like we did at Westmoreland, we sifted at Stratford for the majority of the time. We wrapped up the trip with one last walk up and down the small beach, then waved goodbye to the Potomac. 

The grand total of shark teeth found between me and my dad was 167. The finds are not as abundant here as some other local sites like Brownie's or Purse, but in terms of quality it is high end. We found some decent sized hastalis and Makos, and a lot of the usual Tigers, Hemis, Lemons, and Requiems. I found one tooth that I believe is the crown of an Odontocete but I could also see how it could be a small crocodile tooth because of its visible vertical ridges and the fact that it is hollow. I will be posting identification topics on that tooth and many others from this trip, because we definitely found a few strange things. 

Overall, a great day on the Potomac, and my first time hitting two sites in one day. I walked away with my biggest tooth and handful of other great finds. Thanks for taking the time to read my report. Hoppe hunting!

IMG_6370.JPG

IMG_6372.JPG

IMG_6369.JPG

IMG_6395.jpg

IMG_6393.jpg

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

The Hop 5:

1: Isurus retroflexus: A huge mako. By far my largest tooth yet, with a 2” slant height. Smooth cutting edge and cloudy colors on the crown.

2: Carcharodon hastalis: Found by my dad. His best tooth from the trip. Absolutely pristine condition and beautiful colors. Very tiny but visible cusps near the root.

3: Hemipristis serra: A small but pretty Hemi. Not in perfect condition, but the colors and lines on the crown make it look quite cool.

4: Carcharodon hastalis: This White Shark tooth...is a white shark tooth! Very small and worn down, but super cool white/cream color. But clearly not modern.

5: Negaprion eurybathrodono: This is my largest Lemon yet, and it’s absolutely stunning. Very nice colors and a sharp tip, which is atypical of a Lemon.

IMG_6553.JPG

IMG_6554.JPG

IMG_6555.JPG

IMG_6556.JPG

IMG_6557.JPG

~Hoppe hunting!~

Splendid report.

Splendid photos.

Splendid finds. 

You had a jolly good day! :)

Thanks for sharing. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nice finds! Glad you had a nice beach day, and that it yielded some nice fossils!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Major scorage baby!

I wish I could have places like that here. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

10 hours ago, HoppeHunting said:

The Hop 5:

1: Isurus desori: A huge mako. By far my largest tooth yet, with a 2” slant height. Smooth cutting edge and cloudy colors on the crown.

IMG_6553.JPG

This tooth looks more like Anotodus retroflexus a.k.a. Isurus retroflexus.  Major shark researchers like Herman and Cappetta now consider retroflexus to be a giant Alopiidae, so this species is now considered a giant thresher instead of a mako.  This has not been embraced by the masses of collectors yet.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

32 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

This tooth looks more like Anotodus retroflexus a.k.a. Isurus retroflexus.  Major shark researchers like Herman and Cappetta now consider retroflexus to be a giant Alopiidae, so this species is now considered a giant thresher instead of a mako.  This has not been embraced by the masses of collectors yet.

I had a feeling it wasn't actually desori. Of the large teeth found in Miocene exposures, that was the species it seemed to resemble most, but it certainly seemed atypical. I believe your identification is correct. Because this is my largest tooth, and a nice one at that, I plan on framing it. Do you suggest I label it as Anotodus or Isurus? Thanks!

~Hoppe hunting!~

5 hours ago, HoppeHunting said:

I had a feeling it wasn't actually desori. Of the large teeth found in Miocene exposures, that was the species it seemed to resemble most, but it certainly seemed atypical. I believe your identification is correct. Because this is my largest tooth, and a nice one at that, I plan on framing it. Do you suggest I label it as Anotodus or Isurus? Thanks!

I agree with Herman and Cappetta, so I would label it " Anotodus retroflexus".  If you aren't sure, you can label it  " Anotodus retroflexus a.k.a. Isurus retroflexus" or keep it as "Isurus retroflexus" if you don't feel the tooth is a giant Alopiidae.  This is an example of why I don't label anything in my collection other than with the time period and site information.  I have seen just too many name changes over the 45 years that I've collected shark teeth.  I got tired of changing labels and I know what everything is.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Awesome makos and hemis! Love the report! :meg:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

6 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

if you don't feel the tooth is a giant Alopiidae.

Woah, wait, what? I missed this! Retroflexus may be a thresher!?! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

10 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Woah, wait, what? I missed this! Retroflexus may be a thresher!?! 

Herman has been saying for years that retroflexus is a thresher.  Cappetta originally disagreed.  However this is what Cappetta said in 2012 and a plate showing Anotodus retroflexus teeth:

5ad1e569cc92b_AnotodusCappetta2012a.jpg.dd1f6c6cdcafe5749ec968926660862e.jpg

5ad1e762ba603_AnotodusCappetta2012b.thumb.jpg.d02d4f369078f1729ecdb1410f25ef30.jpg

Marco Sr.

1 minute ago, MarcoSr said:

Herman has been saying for years that retroflexus is a thresher.  Cappetta originally disagreed.  However this is what Cappetta said in 2012 and a plate showing Anotodus retroflexus teeth:

Thanks for that, I can certainly see the resemblance! You learn something new everyday.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice pictures and report!  You've been really busy on the Potomac lately! Can't wait to see your report from this weekend. Good meeting you! 

Happy hunting.

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

Archived