Tidgy's Dad
11 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Let's talk a little about Brazil

For some years now I would like to talk a little about Brazil here at TFF, For some years now I would like to talk a little about Brazil here at TFF, and I think the best opportunity has finally come!

In fact, Brazil has not only banned exports, but also banned the commercialization of fossils even within the country, and Brazilians can not collect fossils from their own country, as they can take many years in prison!

And with so much banning, even world-renowned Paleontologists (I'm a big fan of this great scientist) pterosaurs experts wrongfully get arrested by mistake:

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/ciencia/2013/12/1389270-paleontologo-brasileiro-que-foi-preso-processa-governo-em-r-1-milhao.shtml

And currently a new law is being created in Brazil to make it even more criminal (with more years in prison), to have Brazilian fossils in a collection, to sell or to buy!

Meanwhile, trillions of tons per year of Mesosaurus tenuidens fossils are being crushed and turned into dust by Petrobrás, in Irati, Paraná, Brazil, for the exploration of oil, gas and sulfur. The Brazilian government knows that in this process trillions of tons per year of Mesosaurus tenuidens fossils are being destroyed, but even so it grants total authorization!

Not a very nice situation to be in for a palaeontologist or casual collector. 

Some control may be necessary, but this is going too far. 

Bone guy

That's a huge shame. Who knows, there's may be more than mesosaurs they are destroying :( 

steelhead9
13 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Let's talk a little about Brazil

For some years now I would like to talk a little about Brazil here at TFF, For some years now I would like to talk a little about Brazil here at TFF, and I think the best opportunity has finally come!

In fact, Brazil has not only banned exports, but also banned the commercialization of fossils even within the country, and Brazilians can not collect fossils from their own country, as they can take many years in prison!

And with so much banning, even world-renowned Paleontologists (I'm a big fan of this great scientist) pterosaurs experts wrongfully get arrested by mistake:

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/ciencia/2013/12/1389270-paleontologo-brasileiro-que-foi-preso-processa-governo-em-r-1-milhao.shtml

And currently a new law is being created in Brazil to make it even more criminal (with more years in prison), to have Brazilian fossils in a collection, to sell or to buy!

Meanwhile, trillions of tons per year of Mesosaurus tenuidens fossils are being crushed and turned into dust by Petrobrás, in Irati, Paraná, Brazil, for the exploration of oil, gas and sulfur. The Brazilian government knows that in this process trillions of tons per year of Mesosaurus tenuidens fossils are being destroyed, but even so it grants total authorization!

Guess that will keep the price of mesosaurs sky high. 

FranzBernhard

Seguidora-de-Isis,

thank you very much for your elaboration! Stupidity is the only realy infinite "resource" on this planet. I am feeling very, very sad about these facts!

Franz Bernhard

Seguidora-de-Isis

I apologize to my friends: @Tidgy's Dad , @Bone guy , @steelhead9 and @FranzBernhard who made comments before the posting was ready. But it took me a while to make this post, because I had to fight against the 3.95mb limitation to upload the photos...

Tidgy's Dad
6 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

I apologize to my friends: @Tidgy's Dad , @Bone guy , @steelhead9 and @FranzBernhard who made comments before the posting was ready. But it took me a while to make this post, because I had to fight against the 3.95mb limitation to upload the photos...

We got the picture! 

Ha de ha. 

Tidgy's Dad

Very informative, thank you my friend. 

And quite, quite horrifying. :(

Nimravis

Great post- thanks for taking the time to put it together, it was very informative and sad.

Ludwigia

Thanks for informing us. I however still don't understand why such stringent laws are in place in your land. Who, if only a small elite, profits from them? What is the reasoning behind them? The way you describe it, it doesn't make any sense at all to me.

taj

Ha Brazil ,,, such a wonderful country ,, so full of crazyness , but that's part of the beauty of it !

LiamL

Wow this is so sad. Imagine being in a place with such good fossils but being prevented from saving them.

It pains me to see them destroyed.

Seguidora-de-Isis
5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Thanks for informing us. I however still don't understand why such stringent laws are in place in your land. Who, if only a small elite, profits from them? What is the reasoning behind them? The way you describe it, it doesn't make any sense at all to me.

You are welcome!  Unfortunately I also do not understand, but everything I posted here is the purest truth, and only the elite profit from the ban on the trade of fossils. Very humble people, who live in the region of Santana formation, who often have nothing to eat are constantly visited by  "Scientists" in their homes, who brainwash these people saying that digging and selling a fossil fish has long Time known by science is horrible, an abominable act, because the fossilifer resource is not renewable... And many scientists who are favorable to the trade in fossils are afraid to open their mouths and speak. The climate is of fear and total insecurity! :(

Harry Pristis
50 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

You are welcome!  Unfortunately I also do not understand, but everything I posted here is the purest truth, and only the elite profit from the ban on the trade of fossils. Very humble people, who live in the region of Santana formation, who often have nothing to eat are constantly visited by  "Scientists" in their homes, who brainwash these people saying that digging and selling a fossil fish has long Time known by science is horrible, an abominable act, because the fossilifer resource is not renewable... And many scientists who are favorable to the trade in fossils are afraid to open their mouths and speak. The climate is of fear and total insecurity! :(

Don't doubt for a second that this oppressive arrangement would prevail in the USA if the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology had its way.  The situation in Brazil represents the bottom of the "slippery slope" down which the SVP would take us through Federal and state legislation and regulations.

Seguidora-de-Isis
5 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Don't doubt for a second that this oppressive arrangement would prevail in the USA if the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology had its way.  The situation in Brazil represents the bottom of the "slippery slope" down which the SVP would take us through Federal and state legislation and regulations.

Exactly!

steelhead9
29 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

We’re really not that far from it now. Think of all the great fossils weathering to dust on federal lands and being ground up in phosphate mines. 

FossilSniper

Three words:
Oh. My. God.

RJB

Good ole politicians. 

RB

Bobby Rico

Hi Douglas I don’t understand your government . I understand the big businesses and the stone quarries. In the UK the building industry, often uses stone that contains fossil like ammonites. I think they get more money  for this type of marble. In industry, time is money. To stop production to take some fossil specimens out of the production line is probably not cost effective. But to stop amateurs, local people collecting and or making a little money from selling them, is very sad . What is science going to do with thousand of the same fish or whatever.

So if you purchase a paving slab with some fossil footprint on it , you can put the slab into your garden but you can’t place it in your fossil collection? Thank you for your interesting but sad post.