Real or composite globidens tooth with root?

Wowbnjijdat

Hi guys,

What is your opinion about this tooth? I think it is a real one, no fractures and no covering matrix. But maybe the experts see some red flags.

IMG_6759.JPG

IMG_6764.JPG

IMG_6765.JPG

IMG_6766.JPG

Looks like a composite piece, to me. :( 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yes, the little narrow section under the crown looks like typical Moroccan fossil 'cement' to me. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 minutes ago, Wilhelm said:

It appears the crown wasn't found in one piece as well. I would wait to find a better specimen.

The crown does have a crack, but the fit is perfect.  If it ever did fall apart, the two halves are indeed part of the same tooth.  I agree with the others that the "root' is typical Moroccan rebuild.  

52 minutes ago, jpc said:

The crown does have a crack, but the fit is perfect.  If it ever did fall apart, the two halves are indeed part of the same tooth.  I agree with the others that the "root' is typical Moroccan rebuild.  

If the root was original to the crown the repair wouldn't really be a problem. But these teeth are fairly common, and with the problems this tooth has I think it would be better to wait for a more complete one.

Edit: For $10 it's still a good deal.

Edited by Wilhelm

the tooth is already in my possession. The crown is therefore not broken in half. The crack runs not completely full cirkel luckily. I will make tomorrow more photos in better light circumstances. 

The colour difference bellow the crown is only on the sides of the tooth. The sides are a bit darker then the middle of the tooth. The middle corresponds more with the colour just below the crown.  

Anyway the tooth was $10, so I cannot expect the world of course :P. Other Mosasaur material from the same dealer was from good quality.  

@Wowbnjijdat think of it this way: you got two mosasaur teeth for the price of one! 

That’s why I was happy with my composite Carcharodontosaurus tooth.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

These teeth are from the same reseller, but these look good right?

The first is beautiful, with some need serrations on the top side and no cracks.

Foto 14-04-18 16 10 25.jpgFoto 14-04-18 16 10 48.jpg

B is really big, why I think it is a real one is because the crack from the root goes trough the teeth, like you see in the photo.

Foto 14-04-18 16 11 17.jpg

Foto 14-04-18 16 11 23.jpg

The last two teeth look good. These tall rounded teeth also belong to a rarer species. Prognathodon currii.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Just now, LordTrilobite said:

The last two teeth look good. These rounded teeth also belong to a rarer species. Prognathodon currii.

Nice, I didn't know that! I am new in collecting Mosasaurus fossils, what species is the B one?