I found this Fossil Over a Decade ago

DirtDetector

I found this in the mid-2000's but never really had it checked out, I'm having a paleontologist look at it soon, but I wanted to get your guys opinions. I can only post 1 photo because there is a size limit.

DSC01017.jpg

1 minute ago, DirtDetector said:

. I can only post 1 photo because there is a size limit.

Welcome to TFF!

I see You figured out how to add pictures. If You get an oversize notice while uploading try refreshing the page. (but it will erase any writing in the reply box.)

Can You post pictures of it dry?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

I see You figured out how to add pictures. If You get an oversize notice while uploading try refreshing the page. (but it will erase any writing in the reply box.)

Can You post pictures of it dry?

DSC01021.jpg

I think that you may have a brachiopod or bivalve with prominent ribs. In the bottom center of the second photo I think that I see the zig zag edge of a shell with ribs.

DSC01018.jpg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thanks for the additional picture.

It is hard to be sure because the piece is worn and part is still hidden by matrix.

My impression is a shell of a clam or brachiopod.

Wait for more opinions.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It looks like a brachiopod (spiriferid) remnant, to me.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I also think it is the shell ornamentation of a brachiopod or bivalve mollusc. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thank you guys, great to have an idea of what it could be. I never even knew they had ribs. I think the ones on the right appear to have "joints" possibly because they just cracked or something at some point. Thanks for the insight! If I find anything else I'll be sure to post it here. I live in Niagara Falls, and we have gorges that go down 900 million years, and there is just a great amount of fossils that will definitely need identifying.

I don’t know the typical fossils from that area, but I believe it is marine environment. It is most likely a brachiopod there by looking at the last pic posted.

I can't decide whether the 'ribs' are a feature poking through the matrix, or an epibiont on it.
Kinda' feral lookin' for ribs on a shell. Just sayin'.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I’m getting a spiriferid feel as well.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

21 minutes ago, Auspex said:

I can't decide whether the 'ribs' are a feature poking through the matrix, or an epibiont on it.
Kinda' feral lookin' for ribs on a shell. Just sayin'.

Aulopora ?

59 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Aulopora ?

Well, I don't see any corallites, but irregular like that; maybe something like Rhombopora?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

2 hours ago, DirtDetector said:

Thank you guys, great to have an idea of what it could be. I never even knew they had ribs. I think the ones on the right appear to have "joints" possibly because they just cracked or something at some point. Thanks for the insight! If I find anything else I'll be sure to post it here. I live in Niagara Falls, and we have gorges that go down 900 million years, and there is just a great amount of fossils that will definitely need identifying.

Ha - we tend to forget how fossil jargon might sound to the uninitiated... What we cal 'ribs' or 'ribbing' is just a corrugated shell surface, not ribs as in a skeleton, though brachiopods also have an internal structure that is sometimes preserved, called a lophophore, which better fits the average person's conception of ribs. I don't think that's what you've got, but it does look like some kind of shell (brachiopod or clam)..

You found it in the Niagara area?

I'm in the bivalve camp.

I have no clue what the age is in the area you found it, but to me this fossil looks a lot like a Lopha sp / Rastellum gregareum

Here is a fossil of mine very similar to yours. Mine was found on the Vaches Noires cliffs in Normandy, France, and it is from the Jurassic. 

IMG_6801.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I doubt there are fossil Rastellum like oysters in Lake Erie.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

22 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I doubt there are fossil Rastellum like oysters in Lake Erie.

How old are the sediments there?

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

On 4/14/2018 at 7:48 PM, Quer said:

It reminds me a Rastellum as well, like this one I collected from the upper cretaceous Pyrenees:

Nice specimen!

Max Derème

27 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

How old are the sediments there?

As far as I know, the Lake Erie shoreline fossils are Devonian.

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived