Shark teeth ID help

thelivingdead531

Hey everyone, I bought 12 shark teeth from an antique store in Southport, NC earlier this week and the only info that came with them was the little orange card you see in the pictures. I would like some help identifying them please. I think #10 could be a sand tiger shark, but I’m not 100% on that. Also, I’m not expecting an ID on #7 as it’s too worn to even tell if there is any enamel left. Tooth #1 caught my eye due to the tiny serrations. I know they aren’t the best pictures so if you need more please let me know. Ruler is in cm. Thanks in advance!

30E64987-D120-4C34-B359-5B65FBB97F2E.jpeg

14F82682-AA7C-415A-BDAE-87C02BE0C3A4.jpeg

0125EC20-F78C-4B42-975F-5DA245014181.jpeg

Can't help with the ids.

But you have very nice teeth. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Can't help with the ids.

But you have very nice teeth. :)

Thank you; my dentist tells me the same thing. ;):rofl:

• I found this Informative 1

The teeth are all Cenozoic, probably Miocene. Certainly not Jurassic,  so '25-165 million years ago is not correct. 25 is probably correct. Can't help with ID but nice teeth.

1 minute ago, gigantoraptor said:

The teeth are all Cenozoic, probably Miocene. Certainly not Jurassic,  so '25-165 million years ago is not correct. 25 is probably correct. Can't help with ID but nice teeth.

I definitely did not think they were Jurassic. Thank you for your response! :)

Never seen a note that says Miocene-Jurassic!!! What an age span :rofl:

As @gigantoraptor said, very likely Miocene. 

Anyways, here is my best shot for the IDs:

1, 4, 6, and 9 are very likely bull/dusky sharks, so part of the requiem sharks, Carcharhinus sp. #7 might be one too. 

2, 3, 5, 8, 11 and 12 are probably lemon shark, so Negaprion eurybathrodon

And 10 is probably sand tiger as you said, try looking at Carcharias species. 

All are very worn though, so that's a shame. (It also makes ID much harder) 

Nice little teeth though :dinothumb: 

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

@Max-fossils Thank you! I just came across some pictures of bull/dusky sharks and noticed the similarity, the same with the lemon sharks, but because the are so worn I was unsure if that would be correct. 

That was quite an age range that they listed, huh? :blink:

I’m ok with them being pretty worn, they only cost me $10 for them all lol. Although the pictures aren’t the best, the last two teeth had some interesting patterns and colors so I really liked them.

10 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

@Max-fossils Thank you! I just came across some pictures of bull/dusky sharks and noticed the similarity, the same with the lemon sharks, but because the are so worn I was unsure if that would be correct. 

That was quite an age range that they listed, huh? :blink:

I’m ok with them being pretty worn, they only cost me $10 for them all lol. Although the pictures aren’t the best, the last two teeth had some interesting patterns and colors so I really liked them.

Okay nice!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils