Stumper Game

Guest Smilodon

Guest Smilodon
Well, since it isn't Panthera atrox, I'm gonna go way out there with this...

Panthera tigris altaica

Panthera tigris altaica? what is that?

Why would you think that?

And I'm gonna shoot someone in High Springs

I know Andreas, but he didn't give me the answer. Nor did worthy. Just looked at the previous guesses and did a little deductive reasoning.

My next guess would have been Panthera leo fossilis, the European cave lion.

WTG Nate! :applause:

Now, there's gotta' be a story behind this fossil, and I hope we get to hear it :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Smilodon
I know Andreas, but he didn't give me the answer. Nor did worthy. Just looked at the previous guesses and did a little deductive reasoning.

My next guess would have been Panthera leo fossilis, the European cave lion.

OK, I'll take your word for it. we have a winner

sigh BUZZKILL!

Yes, it is a fossil jaw of a Siberian Tiger, from Siberia. Normally fossils from Siberia looks like cr&% and are very poorly preserved but this looks like it came out of a Florida river and clinks like porcelain.

Associated question: If lions got to North America across the Bering Strait and all the way down to Florida, wouldn't you think Siberian Tigers would have done even better coming across the Ice Sheet? Feel free to speculate.

The reason I knew this would be hard is I assumed most would only focus on North American fossils

Anyhoo, Congrats to 'ric and I'll have another Summertime Stumper up this weekend.

Panthera tigris altaica? what is that?

Why would you think that?

And I'm gonna shoot someone in High Springs

Was not me. B)B)B):)

post-23-1250212163_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Guest Smilodon
WTG Nate! :applause:

Now, there's gotta' be a story behind this fossil, and I hope we get to hear it :)

Oh there sure is, but if I told you, I'd have to, well, you know. But it does involve Russian Border Police and a cup of orange juice.

Deductively reason THAT Mr. 'Ric!!!!!!!!

Guest Smilodon
Was not me. B)B)B):)

I'll take both of your words for it. Sorry for the accusation, but if he had just said "Tiger" I would not have been suspicious- plus I'd only have to give him half an Attaboy But down to subspecies????? Are you kidding me???? But I'll give credit where credit is due. It was a good piece of reasoning.

'55, you are hereby restored to your rightful place on my list of Cool Dudes Who are into Florida Fossils.