Miocene_Mason

And that’s it (except for the dolphin vert I forgot to take a picture of)

hope you enjoyed!

9CF02620-1616-4130-A9C1-48287C025ECE.jpegJaw or rib ?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

19 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

You did the right thing.

A couple of times. 

And it will pay off in the end. 

Nice report and I love the ducks. 

I know you haven't finished posting yet, but I'm just off to bed. 

Glad you had some success and a decent hour out. :)

I hope I did, and I hope that they learn to appreciate fossils as I do! Thanks!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Littlefoot said:

I was at Brownie's today (Sunday, April 15), and the shovel was still there, only jammed into the grey rock. I was wondering who it belonged to, as there was no one in sight when I spotted it.

Looking forward to seeing your Brownie's finds, @WhodamanHD! Some people today found some nice, large snaggles! 

Yeah I wonder. I’m starting to get a feeling it might be one dude I know, I’ll ask him when/if I see him next. He has a reputation for leaving tools at excavation sites (and sometimes half of whatever he was trying to excavate). A few Cliff hunters may know who I’m talking about. Anyway, what did you find?

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice finds! Seems like every time I go to Brownies (I’ve been really addicted lately) I find something new that I’ve never found before... except that elusive Meg!

4 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

When were you there? I may have seen you. Thanks!

I was there Easter Friday and Saturday. Oddly enough I was wearing my duck hunting came outfit.

17 minutes ago, racerzeke said:

Nice finds! Seems like every time I go to Brownies (I’ve been really addicted lately) I find something new that I’ve never found before... except that elusive Meg!

Thanks! Me too, gotta get in as many times as I can before Memorial Day. After that I’ll be hunting the west of Maryland mostly with a few forays into cliffs at other places. Those megs are hard to find, if they are obvious they are snatched up quickly. That’s why you gotta train your eyes to roots (or at least that’s what an experienced hunter told me).

Here’s the back of the meg, I still haven’t found a nice one yet.

ACF9F1B0-58CF-4BA7-8199-AEB66A17FBCF.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah I wonder. I’m starting to get a feeling it might be one dude I know, I’ll ask him when/if I see him next. He has a reputation for leaving tools at excavation sites (and sometimes half of whatever he was trying to excavate). A few Cliff hunters may know who I’m talking about. Anyway, what did you find?

I hope you can find the owner!

You got some great finds for just an hour of searching! The vertabrae piece is huge!

Question from a newbie: How can you tell that's a megaladon fragment? To my (untrained) eyes, it looks like a chunkosaurus! (LOVE that term, by the way! I'm going to have to copy you and start using that because I find a lot of chunkosauruses!)

I was wondering if anyone on this forum headed out to Brownie's today, as I saw a few people out hunting, but yesterday (April 14) was definitely the better-weather day. I found my largest sand tiger tooth ever, plus my first dolphin periotic bone as well as some other mysterious items that I may be posting here.

34 minutes ago, Littlefoot said:

I hope you can find the owner!

You got some great finds for just an hour of searching! The vertabrae piece is huge!

Question from a newbie: How can you tell that's a megaladon fragment? To my (untrained) eyes, it looks like a chunkosaurus! (LOVE that term, by the way! I'm going to have to copy you and start using that because I find a lot of chunkosauruses!)

I was wondering if anyone on this forum headed out to Brownie's today, as I saw a few people out hunting, but yesterday (April 14) was definitely the better-weather day. I found my largest sand tiger tooth ever, plus my first dolphin periotic bone as well as some other mysterious items that I may be posting here.

I think you refer to the rib (although ribs are usually solid so I’m thinking it might be part of the jaw). It is rather large, must’ve fallen out not long ago. Chunkosaurus is not my own term, been used around here for long before me. As for identifying the meg, I had no idea till today (a day after the hunt) that it was a meg. It’s got enameloid on it, as well as a bourlette (however worn). No other sharks with a bourlette or that thick a root. Looking forward to seeing those items! I have yet to find an ear bone yet!

Happy hunting,

Mason

17 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I think you refer to the rib (although ribs are usually solid so I’m thinking it might be part of the jaw). It is rather large, must’ve fallen out not long ago. Chunkosaurus is not my own term, been used around here for long before me. As for identifying the meg, I had no idea till today (a day after the hunt) that it was a meg. It’s got enameloid on it, as well as a bourlette (however worn). No other sharks with a bourlette or that thick a root. Looking forward to seeing those items! I have yet to find an ear bone yet!

Ach -- rib, and I typed vertabrae! Must've had vertabrae on the mind, as I've been investigating vertabrae pictures for some ID projects I'm doing. So let me rephrase it: Nice whale rib! 

Thank you so much for letting me know how to ID a meg fragment! I'll need to start looking out for that now. I have a ton of chunkosauruses in my collection that may need a second look!

I hope to get some pictures posted of my Brownie's trip soon!