Miocene_Mason

Today I got a quick one hour hunt in, tide was lower than I’ve had in a while but I could tell many people had passed through prior to me. Because of this no particularly large teeth but a nice hemi with a lightning strike. 

As I was walking along I was ecstatic to find my first cetacean vert, looked dolphin/porpoise (odontocete), excellent neural arch! I was then surprised to see two sieves not three feet away. I assumed they had found it and left it, as I could see them 20 yards away, one was my age (mid-late teen) and a younger (brother?) person walking with him. I went along my way. Golden rule of fossil hunting: don’t take what another hath found. I already have (albeit buoght) similar ones so I wasn’t too bothered. Not too far away I found a nice piece of whale rib and a concretion with another piece of rib embedded. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out the two fit together, I’ll have to prep that one out. Anyway, I came back down to the place the sieves were and the two kids had started back. I was flabbergasted to see the vert was still there!:trilosurprise:

I grabbed it, and ran over to them. I asked them if they had left it they said no. I gave it to them, and they seemed happy. Sounded like tooth hounds (which is not a bad thing) and I don’t think they knew what it was, so I told them it was a dolphin vertabra. I hope that will help those two get more into fossils. Anyway, not far away I saw this dreadful digging in the cliffs. Whoever did it left the shovel there:headscratch:

This is illegal is it not? Even if it isn’t it is extremely dangerous and ill-advised (so don’t none of y’all do it!).

lastly, I had a pleasant conversation with a pair of mallard ducks, however the conversation was rather one-sided. They must be very used to people. No big teeth but some nice bones. Will get pictures up soon, starting with the “potholes” and the ducks.

6A03E858-6A39-4308-9D04-87DEB159A78F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3522E2B5-E44D-4B4E-ADEF-E39E3DAE92CE.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

You did the right thing.

A couple of times. 

And it will pay off in the end. 

Nice report and I love the ducks. 

I know you haven't finished posting yet, but I'm just off to bed. 

Glad you had some success and a decent hour out. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nothing like a chat with mallards, I talk to a goose nesting behind my house. Like you said it's always a one sided conversation haha

5 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Nothing like a chat with mallards, I talk to a goose nesting behind my house. Like you said it's always a one sided conversation haha

Really?  The geese I have talked to have always been quite vocal.  Maybe it's very shy. Next time, break out a piece of bread, that's always a good ice breaker and a great conversation starter.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Really?  The geese I have talked to have always been quite vocal.  Maybe it's very shy. Next time, break out a piece of bread, that's always a good ice breaker and a great conversation starter.

Not bread!... That stuff is junk food for ducks and can cause problems :( . Oats, kale, peas, corn, seeds, and rice are nutritional alternatives.  ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Well the problem is it's a mother goose, and every time I see her she's siting on her nest. In this case it's probably good that she's quiet, because if she made noise that would mean she would be chasing me trying to peck my eyes out. :D 

While digging in the cliffs is illegal,  digging into the debris that has fallen off the cliffs, is not. From what I see from your pic someone was digging in the debis. Glad you had a good time.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

3 hours ago, Darktooth said:

While digging in the cliffs is illegal,  digging into the debris that has fallen off the cliffs, is not. From what I see from your pic someone was digging in the debis. Glad you had a good time.

Rather close (the top one). Thanks for the info!

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 hours ago, Andy B said:

I saw that couple when I was there too. Nice report.

When were you there? I may have seen you. Thanks!

Happy hunting,

Mason

@Bone guy I got some geese behind my house as well, the chicks hatched today! The mother gives me the stink eye from across the yard every day->:ank:

@caldigger I didn’t notice one at first, almost stepped on it but it moved out of the way and gave me a squak. Maybe I’ll bring some feed next time:)

@Kane noted, health fowls have healthy bowls:D

Happy hunting,

Mason

Pictures coming soon, waiting for sun to show itself

Happy hunting,

Mason

I was at Brownie's today (Sunday, April 15), and the shovel was still there, only jammed into the grey rock. I was wondering who it belonged to, as there was no one in sight when I spotted it.

Looking forward to seeing your Brownie's finds, @WhodamanHD! Some people today found some nice, large snaggles! 

Here’s some pics, might take a bit to get them all in. Hold tight! 

First one shows why I always pick up chunkosauruses, my second Fragalodon! Some quick, unscientific calculations based on a complete meg I have (not found by me) places the full version at somewhere between 3-3.5 inch slant height. Not in any way accurate but ballpark.

54B7F271-3D59-4878-A01D-DFB4E63C7BEE.jpeg

C6E265FD-A4C2-4B11-8252-2DE5958D5E03.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Head scratcher, jet maybe? Notepad 5 inches btw

DED01B58-5FE0-481E-8B69-8B0404058D21.jpeg

8D710A0A-4481-42FF-945C-8878E8ECB77F.jpeg

CD50B237-F93F-4064-AC51-6436DDD7EA04.jpeg

8EB206A7-67B1-4090-8019-4AD433394C40.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

The small one is definitely a Cookie (epiphysis), not sure about the other one?

0ABC9C68-51A7-4262-9D4F-383EDFD2842C.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Teeth! The look at the tiny hemi! So cute...

A63C1513-D819-4B61-B731-26D703E48937.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Closer:

04383ED2-13E4-45E1-98C9-603F922B0FCA.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Jaw or rib pieces from ceteceans

EB2D91D9-5CA2-4B98-A553-B81DADA15D5F.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ray teeth

E98D6C42-9A06-487E-BA16-0F93B5CE4E06.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Sea Turtle bits 

90D4E9EC-26A0-4D2D-8648-0A281B332C49.png

Happy hunting,

Mason

Various chunkosauruses

20871FE7-52AC-4414-8C91-D233FC9CA914.png

Happy hunting,

Mason

Whale rib, did you leave this one for me too @cowsharks:P (half-joke there)

1548D5B2-A169-42C8-B1E8-393DFC355E29.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

D7AB82A1-7958-45AD-BF47-D59DC6192A6F.jpeg

52918C17-435B-4644-B8B2-C470FA0CC633.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason