A Good day at Cole Hill

Darktooth

I took a trip to Cole Hill yesterday, and it turned out to be a decent day weather wise, than what was forecast.  Iwas expectins rain but that didn't happen thankfully. This was the first time that I have been there since all the snow is gone from the site. I went to my favorite spot and immediately saw how weathered it was. This can be a double edged sword. On one hand it makes digging easier, while on the other had sometimes the fossils will crumble apart. I got to work right away and was rewarded instantly with some nice Spinocyrtia granulosa. They popped right out of the matrix. I had a feeling this was gonna be a good day and it was. While I didn't find a nice Dipleura, I found many cephalons and pygidiums. Bembexias are very common at this site and the where popping out left and right but many of them fell apart. I did get a couple decent ones. While I was hoping for company on this trip. I soaked in the solitude. I found a couple of decent cephalopods but these too crumbled. I spent about 5 hrs digging. Every once in awhile I would stop what I was doing a take a look around to see if I good spot something either on the ground or sticking out of the cliff. I do this when my back needs a break. Found a few items this way but nothing special. Part of the reason that I wanted to make it out there is that I wanted to collect some material for forum members who are planning on coming to Deep Springs April 28th and have never had a chance to hunt at Cole Hill.  Some of the items that I had earmarked for that broke in transit on the way home, while a couple items somehow got left behind.  I still have plenty of things from this, and previous trips out there though. I will say time seemed to fly by and I would have liked to stay longer but I promised my wife I wouldn't be out all day. It was fun while it lasted and I am glad I could get out. Here are some pics. These pics are of the Dipleura, Cephalons and pygidiums

20180415_162543.jpg

20180415_162658.jpg

20180415_162704.jpg

20180415_162819.jpg

20180415_162904.jpg

20180415_162937.jpg

20180415_163052.jpg

20180415_163117.jpg

20180415_163136.jpg

20180415_163157.jpg

20180415_163206.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Next up pic 1 Spinocytia granulosa.

Pic 2 Grammysioidia alveata

3 Bembexia sulcomarginata.

4 Sproceres crotalum

20180415_164435.jpg

20180415_164505.jpg

20180415_165540.jpg

20180415_165523.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

And I especially like the brachiopods! Nicely preserved big beauties :wub:

Glad you found some decent specimens and had a good day, and one day I'll join you, i hope! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Wonderful!:thumbsu:

Thanks, I thought so too!

39 minutes ago, Monica said:

Nice finds, Dave!  I especially love the Spyroceras :wub:

Thanks Monica! The spyro was bigger but unfortunely the rest crumbled. It seems that everytime I find these I am only able to salvage about the same size piece. These are pretty common from this sight.

25 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

And I especially like the brachiopods! Nicely preserved big beauties :wub:

Glad you found some decent specimens and had a good day, and one day I'll join you, i hope! 

Thanks Adam! I truly hope one day you can join me! 

23 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

:envy:

I have kept you in mind since I know you like the bivalves and brachs. I will Pm you soon.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Awesome trip, Dave! I'm glad the weather held out - and those are some sweet Dipleura pieces! :dinothumb:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 minutes ago, Kane said:

Awesome trip, Dave! I'm glad the weather held out - and those are some sweet Dipleura pieces! :dinothumb:

Usually when one finds so many Dipleura parts and pieces concentrated like this, a full one is close by. I may have to get back soon!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Nice!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Proven once again that the Cole Hill site is the home of Dipleura dekayi. Congratulations Dave on another successful outing. Looking forward to seeing you and collecting with you  later in the month. 

25 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Proven once again that the Cole Hill site is the home of Dipleura dekayi. Congratulations Dave on another successful outing. Looking forward to seeing you and collecting with you  later in the month. 

Ditto Jeff! Only two weeks away and then we can play ! Hey while I am thinking about it. Can you tell me how many members are supposed to come? I am putting together some gifts for everyone who shows and would like to know how many to expect. Thanks!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Great report, Dave!

Glad you made some decent finds. 

Looking forward to the 28th! 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

After you find a complete articulated museum quality example, please change your online moniker to DipleuraDave:fingerscrossed: :fistbump:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

7 minutes ago, piranha said:

After you find a complete articulated museum quality example, please change your online moniker to DipleuraDave:fingerscrossed: :fistbump:

I actually already have found many complete articulated specimens. Dipleura dekayi was the first trilobite I ever found. Cole Hill was the first fossil site I hunted back in the early 2000's. Though my first Dipleura specimen was found in a creek at a local state park. It was just a thorax and pygidium,  which was water worn and I thought it was a native american carving. Soon after I joined my local Gem and mineral club. The club treasurer at the time told me about a trip he took to Cole Hill where he found a 4 inch wide cephalon. I asked for directions and checked it out a couple days later. First trip was a scouting mission. I walked around surveying the site. Found nice parts and pieces in the talus. Came back a few days later with all the tools. Found an enrolled one the size of my fist. Broke into a hundred pieces due to lack of experience extracting. Salvaged what I could and glued it. Came back the following week and found 2 prone within a half hour of each other. That started a love affair with trilos for a couple years. I visited that site a lot. I don't have any of those ones from back in the day. The last nearly complete one I found there from last summer I gifted to Kane. I do have a small complete one from Deep Springs that I found last year as well. The funny thing is I almost did use Dipleura Dave as my moniker. True story. But at the time I joined the forum I was so into sharkteeth, hence Darktooth. I have even recently thought about changing it to DD, but I don't want to get all crazy. Lol

Also I truly think some of my finds were very close to museum quality. I have found them as small as a robins egg all the way to 6 1/2 inches I think my biggest was.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

18 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

...The funny thing is I almost did use Dipleura Dave as my moniker. True story...  ...I have even recently thought about changing it to DD, but I don't want to get all crazy. Lol...

Great Minds... :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Congratulations! I really like #3 it reminds of a cinnamon roll. I really should cook dinner now fossils are reminding me of food.

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great report, Dave!

Glad you made some decent finds. 

Looking forward to the 28th! 

Thanks Tim! I can't wait to see you and the others soon! I know the next two weeks are going to drag!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

46 minutes ago, Malone said:

Congratulations! I really like #3 it reminds of a cinnamon roll. I really should cook dinner now fossils are reminding me of food.

Thanks! I actually had a cinnamon roll for a snack earlier this evening!:D

30 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Nice trip report. Looks like a fun place to collect and visit.

Thank-you, it is a fun place to collect but it can be a little dangerous.  I forgot to mention that yesterday I slid down the talus pile on the side of the cliff in almost the same spot as happened on my last trip there.:wacko: Oops!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I'm glad the weather cooperated for you, Dave.  I'd be real happy with any of those finds. That's a real pretty little snail. 

I'm planning on getting together with all you guys but I haven't quite mastered the secret handshake yet. 

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Nice finds there! Cole Hill is a fun place to split some rock and waste time. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

11 hours ago, Pagurus said:

I'm glad the weather cooperated for you, Dave.  I'd be real happy with any of those finds. That's a real pretty little snail. 

I'm planning on getting together with all you guys but I haven't quite mastered the secret handshake yet. 

Mike

Grasp the other hand firmly and shake vigorously for 3 Mississippi's. Then just like in thumb wrestling lock the persons thumb wth your thumb and tickle their palm with your middle finger for 5 Mississippi's or until they giggle. Whatever comes first. When you let go make sure to do fireworks with your fingers. There you have it, the secret hand shake!:D Will see you on the 28th!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

2 hours ago, Shamalama said:

Nice finds there! Cole Hill is a fun place to split some rock and waste time. :)

Waste time!? No time is wasted at Cole Hill in my opinion Not with the specimens that lurk beneath the surface!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Wowie!

Some nice trilo parts Dave :-)

CONGRATULATIONS!

That reminds me that I need to visit my favorite hunting spot soon now the weather is improving again.

Archived