Misleading mioplosus????

Hello TFF. I'm considering this Mioplosus, it's nothing special but the teeth are real cool and I figure $60 is a ok deal. I was just wondering if anyone with more green river knowledge than me can spot any enhancements? 

IMG_0804.PNG

IMG_0805.PNG

• I found this Informative 1

I'm not seeing anything troubling here at all. 

Looks like a nice fossil. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I like it, a less common Green River critter. I too, see no monkey business. What size is it?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

35 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Precisely 5.7 inches.

With that measure it is a little smaller than the typical Mioplosus, which averages 8" to 10". Reportedly, they have been rarely found up to 20". Of course, size is only one consideration. I think the overall appearance of a piece is much more important. These fish also have interesting scales with a fan-shaped structure in the center giving them a distinctive appearance. The fossil you posted may show this feature under a 10X loupe.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The most common enhancement done to fossil fish is a coating of black paint, either across the body to make it stand out more or using paint to draw on more delicate features like fins (often both). Its hard to tell from pictures so I'm not really going to be able to help, but those are the things to look for.

Looks good though based on these pictures.

Edited by Wilhelm

Mr. Mioplosus arrived in great condition and I determined there are 0 enhancements. Thank you for your help everyone! :) 

On 4/21/2018 at 9:20 AM, Bone guy said:

Mr. Mioplosus arrived in great condition and I determined there are 0 enhancements.

Alright!:default_clap2::fistbump:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.