holdinghistory

Been a while since I posted any prep projects. These were two that I finished up the other day. Taking advantage of a nice 45 degree day before it got cold again! Both are Eldregeops from Penn Dixie, prepped with an Aro scribe and air abrasive unit.

E1.jpg

E2.jpg

Well done! There are places on the rollers where the matrix is sticky and stubborn - but it looks like you were able to surmount that problem! :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Amazing! :wub:

i'm quite happy if I can get them to the before stage. 

I must get some of these air abrasive tools. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Well done! 

They are beautiful.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Is it against the rules to ask the name of the airscribe used? If so please disregard this question: what is the name of the airscribe you used?

9 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Amazing! :wub:

i'm quite happy if I can get them to the before stage. 

I must get some of these air abrasive tools. 

Can't you just set them outside and wait for the wind to pick up?

Nature's sandblaster. :P

Outstanding work!  What air abrasive tool and what medium did you use?  Baking soda?  Dolomite?  Was the matrix fairly soft compared to the fossil?  Like @Tidgy's Dad, I need to get me one of those!

I used dolomite. Usually I will alternate pressure between 40-80 PSI, depending on what I am trying to take off. Penn Dixie matrix is very soft and easy to work with, more difficult if you are doing a Greenops, since the shell on those is pretty thin, but not too bad. 

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

We hardly ever get even a breeze. 

It would be a long wait. :(

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Permit me to be picky (in the spirit of constructive criticism) but did that prone one need such a big trench dug around it?

The roller looks great!

14 hours ago, caldigger said:

We had steady wind about 50mph to 60mph steady and peak gust of 79mph yesterday. It was wild!

15 hours ago, caldigger said:

I think he mentioned Aro scribe in initial post.

I thought it just said airscribe, but you are correct.

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Permit me to be picky (in the spirit of constructive criticism) but did that prone one need such a big trench dug around it?

The roller looks great!

Yes, the bottom of the side was down into the matrix, and I like to get completely to the bottom of the side of the bug not leaving any of it buried. I brought it far enough to the side to give a little working area and avoid nicking the side with the scribe by going down tighter to the side. Gave a better angle on the abrasive cleanup as well. Then I smoothed the edge of the trench out with the scribe to get rid of the marks, and a quick once over with the abrasive to give it more of a natural rock color (instead of the lighter grey the scribe would have left). If I hadn't made the trench it would have made for a lot more abrasive work and more risk of damage if I used a scribe. There still would have been a trench too, just closer to the bug. Easier to see the side this way too with the matrix a little further out. 

I see... a lot of digging just to expose those few pleural tips! It hardly looked like anything of the outer surface was buried in the 'before' pic.

Yeah, I was surprised too when I started going down. Took a few stages of checking and needing to go deeper.

Archived