Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jazfossilator

Echinoid

Recommended Posts

Jazfossilator

last night there were heavy thunderstorms in Myrtle beach so I figured some good stuff would get churned up and deposited on the beach, I braved the brutal wind and cold early this morning and it payed off, I found these 2 fossilized echinoids within 20 yards of each other, any more specific info would be great!the top of the first is missing, and I know the second one is in real bad shape and a positive ID is unlikely.

 

IMG_2007.thumb.JPG.e0a9b2ba4ccb93afa27a74f594b94a5b.JPG

 

IMG_2014.thumb.JPG.0e2578c55e4305a65de62765aea29946.JPG

 

 

IMG_2016.JPG

 

 

IMG_2011.JPG

IMG_2013.JPG

 

 

IMG_2015.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thelivingdead531

I can’t help with ID, but the mouth on the first one looks amazing! Nice find!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazfossilator
9 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I can’t help with ID, but the mouth on the first one looks amazing! Nice find!

Thank you:) I was surprised that part was still mostly intact

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-AnThOnY-

Looks like Hardouinia at a quick glance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plax
1 minute ago, -AnThOnY- said:

Looks like Hardouinia at a quick glance

probably Hardouinea sabistonensis as the matrix looks Pliocene or Pleistocene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sixgill pete
1 hour ago, Plax said:

probably Hardouinea sabistonensis as the matrix looks Pliocene or Pleistocene.

 

Wondering, wouldn't that be Rhyncholampas sabostinensis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-AnThOnY-

I couldn't tell the difference without seeing the periproct, but may be that too

37 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

 

Wondering, wouldn't that be Rhyncholampas sabostinensis?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazfossilator

I'll have to take a close look at both, thanks for the suggestions!

43 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

 

Wondering, wouldn't that be Rhyncholampas sabostinensis?

 

2 hours ago, Plax said:

probably Hardouinea sabistonensis as the matrix looks Pliocene or Pleistocene.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plax
2 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

 

Wondering, wouldn't that be Rhyncholampas sabostinensis?

thanks Six! Talk about misspeaking. And I'm supposed to know a lot about echinoids...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sixgill pete
Just now, Plax said:

thanks Six! Talk about misspeaking. And I'm supposed to know a lot about echinoids...

Tought me everything I know!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plax

named for the Sabiston Farm up your way as I recall. Kier has two related species in Florida and have always felt that we could distinguish them here (Carolinas) as well. Not sure the species is valid for the ones we get in the Waccamaw and Goose Creek but have always called it that. I believe that DuBar listed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilDAWG

For clarification, are we talking about the same ID for both specimens?  They look different to me, though that might be because of the wear on the 2nd specimen.

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sixgill pete

To me the first one looks like Hardouinia mortonis, the second Rhycholampas sabistonensis. The first is Cretaceous the second Pliocene / Pleistocene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plax
2 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

For clarification, are we talking about the same ID for both specimens?  They look different to me, though that might be because of the wear on the 2nd specimen.

 

Don

good point. There's a chance that either of them could be something else including Agassizia for the second one and Hardouinea mortonis (giant Brunswick County NC form) for the first one. If I had them in hand I'd be sure. Most likely ID is still Rhyncholampas sabistonensis but that is based on what is commonly found there in the Waccamaw and Goose Creek formations. There's plenty of Peedee in the re-nourishment of those beaches of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plax

six beat me to the waffling ID!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sixgill pete
5 minutes ago, Plax said:

good point. There's a chance that either of them could be something else including Agassizia for the second one and Hardouinea mortonis (giant Brunswick County NC form) for the first one. If I had them in hand I'd be sure. Most likely ID is still Rhyncholampas sabistonensis but that is based on what is commonly found there in the Waccamaw and Goose Creek formations. There's plenty of Peedee in the re-nourishment of those beaches of course.

In hand may be the only way to get a solid I.D. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazfossilator

Thanks for all the suggestions guys I'll do my best to identify them properly, they are the first echinoids I've ever found so I have some research to catch up on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazfossilator

I am now Really thinking that the first is Hardouinea mortonis after seeing this exampleIMG_2083.thumb.JPG.04f331a5cbc27283fd64ac06f6b93c48.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

That first one is a really nice find! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazfossilator
3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

That first one is a really nice find! :)

Thank you! I was pretty excited when I turned it over:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×